Changing to Sata 6GBS

Hello

I have just built my new i3 - 3220 PC. Im happy with the performance etc but......

The hard drive in it though is an old standard SATA hard drive from a 5 + Year old PC.

Im looking at buying

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Or

Western Digital 1TB Green SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive

Now going to a SATA 6bs am i going to notice any performance difference? Loading? BOOT times?.

And also are those 2 hard drives ok to go with? Im looking for the quietest aswell as speed.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about changing sata 6gbs
  1. if you're looking for both quiet and speed, then it's hard to go wrong with an SSD. You can still have an HDD as a secondary drive for your data. You'll want at least 128GB, but 256GB are becoming more affordable. This'll cover your OS and your apps with space to spare. I like the Marvell controller based SSD's (Crucial M4 is reliable, and Samsung has their own in-house MCX and newer MDX controllers (the tried and true 830 series and the recently released 840 and 840 Pro).

A 128GB can be had for around $110 ($70 if you get it on sale) an 256 at $2000 (The Crucial M4 is on sale right now at Newegg for $170). The Samsung's are faster than the Crucial and the 830 has a proven track record as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Hard Drives Performance Storage