Sign in with
Your question

Changing to Sata 6GBS

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2012 9:33:49 AM

Hello

I have just built my new i3 - 3220 PC. Im happy with the performance etc but......

The hard drive in it though is an old standard SATA hard drive from a 5 + Year old PC.

Im looking at buying

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Or

Western Digital 1TB Green SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive

Now going to a SATA 6bs am i going to notice any performance difference? Loading? BOOT times?.

And also are those 2 hard drives ok to go with? Im looking for the quietest aswell as speed.

Thanks

More about : changing sata 6gbs

December 3, 2012 10:37:52 AM

if you're looking for both quiet and speed, then it's hard to go wrong with an SSD. You can still have an HDD as a secondary drive for your data. You'll want at least 128GB, but 256GB are becoming more affordable. This'll cover your OS and your apps with space to spare. I like the Marvell controller based SSD's (Crucial M4 is reliable, and Samsung has their own in-house MCX and newer MDX controllers (the tried and true 830 series and the recently released 840 and 840 Pro).

A 128GB can be had for around $110 ($70 if you get it on sale) an 256 at $2000 (The Crucial M4 is on sale right now at Newegg for $170). The Samsung's are faster than the Crucial and the 830 has a proven track record as well.
!