Solved

RAM Help

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Gateway
Last response: in Memory
July 13, 2011 2:24:37 AM

Hello everyone, I have a small problem and was wondering if any of you could help. I have a Gateway GP7-450 that I'm trying to add some more RAM to (it's the old SDRAM type or something like that). I believe the RAM I want to add is 133mhz and the Gateway seems to like 100mhz RAM, it will not take it. Is there a way I can get it to run at 100mhz so it's compatible? Thanks for the help!

More about : ram

July 13, 2011 3:20:23 AM

bump
m
l

Best solution

July 13, 2011 4:24:52 AM

It would automatically slow down (usually) the the slowest speed accepted. If you can't boot into the BIOS, it won't work for you. Also, how many notches does the RAM have? If it has 2, one near the middle and one about 1/4 the way in one of the sides, it is, infact SDRAM. It is not likely you will get this memory working in that system, it is simply incompatible. Look around eBay and you should find some SDRAM that will fit your needs for super cheap. I would offer any of mine up for shipping but I discarded all of my legacy gear when the Intel "I" series hit. I've still got 775, DDR2 gear because that is still semi-standard but even that is fading.

One last thing, did you try putting JUST the new stick in? If not, see if that works, if it does, put the second stick (old one) in the second slot and see if it still works. I don't recall what SDRAM will and will not like (In terms of matching/mis-matching and speeds and such) so your best to either scrap the whole machine or buying some cheap SDRAM on eBay.

Sorry it's not an optimal solution.

From Crucial memory guide:
Memory Type: SDRAM, PC133, SDRAM (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 384MB
Slots: 3
Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 128MB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

See if it can handle the 133MHz stick alone, if Not, does it exceed the limits mentioned in ^this^ information? Are you trying to add a 256MB stick with a 128MB already installed?

Report back on your findings.
Related resources
July 13, 2011 4:49:11 AM

SDRAM is exactly the type of RAM this Gateway needs and 133 usualy works
m
l
July 13, 2011 5:21:42 AM

puttsy said:
It would automatically slow down (usually) the the slowest speed accepted. If you can't boot into the BIOS, it won't work for you. Also, how many notches does the RAM have? If it has 2, one near the middle and one about 1/4 the way in one of the sides, it is, infact SDRAM. It is not likely you will get this memory working in that system, it is simply incompatible. Look around eBay and you should find some SDRAM that will fit your needs for super cheap. I would offer any of mine up for shipping but I discarded all of my legacy gear when the Intel "I" series hit. I've still got 775, DDR2 gear because that is still semi-standard but even that is fading.

One last thing, did you try putting JUST the new stick in? If not, see if that works, if it does, put the second stick (old one) in the second slot and see if it still works. I don't recall what SDRAM will and will not like (In terms of matching/mis-matching and speeds and such) so your best to either scrap the whole machine or buying some cheap SDRAM on eBay.

Sorry it's not an optimal solution.

From Crucial memory guide:
Memory Type: SDRAM, PC133, SDRAM (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 384MB
Slots: 3
Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 128MB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

See if it can handle the 133MHz stick alone, if Not, does it exceed the limits mentioned in ^this^ information? Are you trying to add a 256MB stick with a 128MB already installed?

Report back on your findings.

Thanks for your great reply. I have tried running it with just that stick, I got absolutely nothing. Now after reading what you posted from the memory guide, I now see why it doesn't work. I'm am trying to put a 512MB stick in there (which is SDRAM), which exceeds the max memory per slot limit and the max memory limit too (it would have been twice the limit, it came with a 128, 128, and 64MB stick of RAM, I would've replaced the 64mb stick to get 768mb total). Oh well, it's not a big deal, I picked this one up on the cheap the other day to play around with (I like older computers, b/c the hardware they use was "before my time", you could say.) Thanks again for the reply, this solved my problem completely :) 
m
l
July 13, 2011 5:24:08 AM

Best answer selected by kilo_17.
m
l
!