Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Iomega 500GB USB connector broke, can I use a new enclosure?

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2012 1:32:58 PM

Hello
I have a Iomega 500GB prestige external hard drive, and the USB connector on the circuit board broke. The product page on Iomega's site list it was a encrypted drive so I am wondering if getting a new external enclosure could be used to access the information I have on the drive or not.
December 3, 2012 1:41:23 PM

You should be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it into a SATA port on your PC to retrieve the data.

You might be able to fit it in a new enclosure however I've never done it and I don't know where you would buy an empty enclosure.
m
l
December 3, 2012 1:42:53 PM

Generally you can simply take out the HDD and you'll see that it uses a simple SATA interface which means you can plug them straight into your PC internally. Try that and see how it goes. I'm not too familiar with companies encrypting external HDDs, mainly because I've never actually heard about it.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 3, 2012 1:47:55 PM

You can buy external enclosures anywhere you could buy normal hard drives, the issue is if the encryption that came with the hard drive would cause any trouble with the new enclosure, I don't have a extra SATA cable to plug it into my PC and see if it is an issue.
m
l

Best solution

December 3, 2012 1:48:56 PM

Unplug you CD drive briefly.
December 3, 2012 2:05:58 PM

Thanks for the advice Darth Pravus. I plugged in the hard drive and it seems I have to format it. Idk if this is because of the encryptions or if it happened when the USB broke off the circuit board.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:02:30 PM

Best answer selected by TicTac_Awe.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:05:01 PM

TicTac_Awe said:
Thanks for the advice Darth Pravus. I plugged in the hard drive and it seems I have to format it. Idk if this is because of the encryptions or if it happened when the USB broke off the circuit board.

Formatting tend to mean encryption or a damaged disk unfortunately :( 
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:05:02 PM

There are some good recovery programs that might help you. I'm sure some one else can suggest some.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:43:42 PM

I am trying out AESEUS data recovery tool right now. Maybe ill look up some others also. Thanks for all the help.
m
l
!