poor performance

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2005 11:01:05 PM

My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!

I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
hasn't helped.

I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an Asus
A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
monitor.

Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!

More about : poor performance

March 25, 2005 4:41:27 AM

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
> My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!
>
> I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
> hasn't helped.
>
> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
> monitor.
>
> Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!

Hmmm, Nvidia 5200 is past of things. I recommend start from 5900 XT. I don't
know about 5700 but noticed it hella cheaper now.

Other PC still use GeForce 4 MX quite playable with UT2004 yes there is
choppy as well...

I'm using 6600GT here it quite nice.... :)
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:41:28 AM

"Wesley" <Wesley@kissworld.com.de> wrote in message

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>> My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!
>>
>> I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
>> hasn't helped.
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an
>> Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
>> monitor.
>>
>> Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!
>
> Hmmm, Nvidia 5200 is past of things. I recommend start from 5900 XT. I
> don't know about 5700 but noticed it hella cheaper now.
>
> Other PC still use GeForce 4 MX quite playable with UT2004 yes there is
> choppy as well...
>
> I'm using 6600GT here it quite nice.... :)

I recently went to a 6600GT and I also am quite fond of it. It plays every
game I have maxxed out with great framerates. I can run 2K4 on max and still
keep FPS in the 80-'s. The only thing I wonder is why you would go through
all the trouble and expense to get a 6800 (or even run duals)?
March 25, 2005 10:34:19 AM

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message

> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card

that is just bad ;o0

> A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
> monitor.

what kind of cpu? with UT the cpu "can" be one of the most important
things. Even though in this case I lean towards blaming the video card.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card
>

> that is just bad ;o0

ok, after looking at some reviews of the standard 5200 I can say the problem
is your video card. The standard 5200 is useless for gaming, less than half
the speed of a gf4 ti4200 in ut2004. I can't even imagine how much slower
the "lite" version would be ;o0

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:08:00 PM

Found out the problem.

I am running my resolution too high for the 5200 card, and thus have
decreased frame rates. I am running at 1024 x 1268 (or something close to
that)

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card
>

> that is just bad ;o0
>

>> A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
>> monitor.
>>

> what kind of cpu? with UT the cpu "can" be one of the most important
> things. Even though in this case I lean towards blaming the video card.
>

> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

March 26, 2005 12:32:39 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:29:12 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>What about the 5500's?

The 5 series will be okay for UT, but aren't a good investment if you
are going to play any DX9 games. Something like an ATI 9600 Pro would
be a better bet.
March 26, 2005 12:32:40 AM

How about a PNY FX5700?

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:29:12 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
> wrote:
>
>>What about the 5500's?
>
> The 5 series will be okay for UT, but aren't a good investment if you
> are going to play any DX9 games. Something like an ATI 9600 Pro would
> be a better bet.
March 26, 2005 12:47:58 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:34:35 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>How about a PNY FX5700?

Same deal, all the FX5 cards are weak DX9 cards.
March 27, 2005 12:40:37 AM

Forget the fram resolution idea.... I am still getting choppy performance!

My 64mb card did better than this lame 128mb card!!!

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
> My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!
>
> I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
> hasn't helped.
>
> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
> monitor.
>
> Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:43:25 PM

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
news:D YWdnWJivPYVmtrfRVn-2Q@suscom.com...
> Thankyou for that very helpful information. I too build systems, and this
> is the first time I have ever had this problem. Apparently in readng
> reviews, the 5200 did worse in benchmarks than the 4 series cards.
>
> I did have an ATI for a short while but i was unimpressed by the card, and
> it had heating issues causing it to go out altogether after minutes of
> gaming.
>
> My system is currently using a AMD Athlon 2600+ and 1gig of PC2700. I can
> very easily minimize the game and run other applications.
>
> I am currently considering the nvidia 6600GT. My buddy has the 6800GT and
> loves it, but I don't have $350 for a video card. ATI is off my list
> currently due to the worst experience I have ever had with a card (until
> now)
>
> If I went ATI, which card would you recommend as the best value for a
> gamer?

For the bucks you are going to spend the 6600GT is a wonderful choice. It
burns up the comparably priced cards from ATI and it is just rock solid.
I've used both products and although there are camps to both sides it really
just comes down to performance:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/gefor...
and
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/gefor...

The only downside I've seen it the fact you have to split your power supply
and this may cause cable routing issues inside your box. The card requires
it's own feed so you probably will need a molex splitter if you get the card
(they are just a couple of bucks).

As an aside you should really look at your CPU too. Even the best vid card
will only help so much if you have a middling processor.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:12:24 PM

I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
> news:D YWdnWJivPYVmtrfRVn-2Q@suscom.com...
>> Thankyou for that very helpful information. I too build systems, and this
>> is the first time I have ever had this problem. Apparently in readng
>> reviews, the 5200 did worse in benchmarks than the 4 series cards.
>>
>> I did have an ATI for a short while but i was unimpressed by the card,
>> and it had heating issues causing it to go out altogether after minutes
>> of gaming.
>>
>> My system is currently using a AMD Athlon 2600+ and 1gig of PC2700. I can
>> very easily minimize the game and run other applications.
>>
>> I am currently considering the nvidia 6600GT. My buddy has the 6800GT and
>> loves it, but I don't have $350 for a video card. ATI is off my list
>> currently due to the worst experience I have ever had with a card (until
>> now)
>>
>> If I went ATI, which card would you recommend as the best value for a
>> gamer?
>>

> For the bucks you are going to spend the 6600GT is a wonderful choice. It
> burns up the comparably priced cards from ATI and it is just rock solid.
> I've used both products and although there are camps to both sides it
> really just comes down to performance:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/gefor...
> and
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/gefor...
>
> The only downside I've seen it the fact you have to split your power
> supply and this may cause cable routing issues inside your box. The card
> requires it's own feed so you probably will need a molex splitter if you
> get the card (they are just a couple of bucks).
>
> As an aside you should really look at your CPU too. Even the best vid card
> will only help so much if you have a middling processor.

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:20:04 PM

>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

The 6600GT suffered from a lack of on-board RAM. It was a 128 card playing
against the 256 versions. Of course at very high resolutions and full on AA
and AF the lower RAM levels will cause a lesser performance. You can fix
that now though with the 256 version. Still though I can tell you that in
real world experience my 6600GT smokes UT2004 at any res I want. I get 80+
fps on full settings and level load times are very short. Getting good, fast
system RAM helped a bunch too.

I also run a GF4 4200ti on my segregated testing box and a Radeon 9200 on my
kid's rig. There's just no comparison. I do think that the Radeon drivers
have a better interface when using multimonitor or TV out. The unified
drivers of NVidia are a little confusing to a newer user. I use coolbits as
it's easier to control your card.

To be fair upgrading my box to a 64-bit processor did as much or more than
buying the card. UT is truly quite processor intensive.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:16:20 AM

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have shown
the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the 6800gt
here is one:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_c...

notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa and
8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also tell you
from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than the 5900
ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:29:36 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:21:54 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>Thankyou for that very helpful information. I too build systems, and this is
>the first time I have ever had this problem. Apparently in readng reviews,
>the 5200 did worse in benchmarks than the 4 series cards.
>
>I did have an ATI for a short while but i was unimpressed by the card, and
>it had heating issues causing it to go out altogether after minutes of
>gaming.
>
>My system is currently using a AMD Athlon 2600+ and 1gig of PC2700. I can
>very easily minimize the game and run other applications.
>
>I am currently considering the nvidia 6600GT. My buddy has the 6800GT and
>loves it, but I don't have $350 for a video card. ATI is off my list
>currently due to the worst experience I have ever had with a card (until
>now)
>
>If I went ATI, which card would you recommend as the best value for a gamer?

Well, that all depends on whether you are AGP or ePCI based. Some
good values available now on the Radeon 9800 pro series (AGP). The
ePCI cards are all a bit pricey, especially the 800xt. They do make a
600xt and (I think) a 700xt ePCI model, if your MB supports that.
Your Athlon 2600+, which is probably really running at 1.9 ghz or
something like that, might offer you a place for upgrade as well.

Last of all, some cards are real quirky about the order in which you
install things like the driver, and DX9.B .. Some say before the
driver install, some after. I know it makes no sense, but I've seen
it have an impact on more than one card.

Cheers
March 28, 2005 11:34:16 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:12:24 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

That is fine as long as all you are ever going to play is UT2004.
Throw a DX9 game into the equation and everything changes.
March 28, 2005 11:48:22 AM

These charts are for PCI-E, you need to look at the AGP charts. At least in
my case you need to.

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT
>>

> where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have
> shown the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the
> 6800gt here is one:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_c...
>
> notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa
> and 8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also
> tell you from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than
> the 5900 ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:55:54 AM

Check out this link

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT
>>

> where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have
> shown the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the
> 6800gt here is one:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_c...
>
> notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa
> and 8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also
> tell you from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than
> the 5900 ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:04:24 PM

> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

[snip]

> >>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
> >>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

A few comments:

a) The 5x00-series cards suffer from a lack of registers which tends to
put it at a serious disadvantage when playing pixel-shader-intense DX9
games. Previously, I owned a GeForce 5600, and fairly recently
purchased a GeForce 6600 GT -- in DX9 games and benchmarks (like
Aquamark), the difference is like night and day.

b) In your example, the 5900 series appears to be effectively tied, in
the 1024x768 [no AA or AF] tests, with a whole slew of other cards (in
the range of 115 to 118 fps). Due to the large number of similar
scores, I suspect that this particular test is CPU-bound, not GPU-
bound .... A much more stressful (and useful) test of the cards occurs
when AA and AF are enabled, in which case we see that the 5900 falls
behind quite dramatically.

c) You probably don't want to purchase a gfx simply for the UT2004 game
that you're playing today .... For $300 CAD, you could purchase an XFX
GeForce 6600 GT (versus ~$250 CAD for a GeForce 5900). The small
difference in price is well worth it, IMO, for future playability.

d) I would suggest that a more realistic benchmark of future playability
might be a more GPU-intensive game like Far Cry (or Half Life 2) ...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

Kris
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:09:50 PM

pci express and agp doesn't matter. the cards are the same except for the
way they hook up to the motherboard. The comparisons are valid for
either/or. Besides, look at the one you posted. There is no 6600 in the
test, and in the tests where the game is not limited by the cpu the 6800gt
beats the 5900 series by a substantial margin.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:19:17 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:55:54 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>Check out this link
>
>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

Notice how there are about 20 cards in that chart within 2 FPS of each
other? That means that the game is processor bound, and it wouldn't
make any difference which card you choose.

Never base a graphics card decision on a UT benchmark. UT is and
always has been processor bound. I could pull out my $400 6800 GT and
put in my old GF4 and I would see no change in framerates. That
doesn't mean the cards are equal in performance, it means that UT
cares more about CPU speed than GPU speed.

Use games like Doom or benchmarks like 3DMark05 to measure raw vid
card performance. If all you ever play is UT, then invest in the
fastest processor you can afford, because the vid card really doesn't
matter.

And take the advice given here by others. The 6600 is, right now, the
best bang for the buck on the planet. You would be foolish to buy a
5900 or any other 'prior' technology.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 7:04:52 PM

ok...

The only other thing I don't get is that my older system with a 1700+ and a
64MB card (SDRAM) runs UT better than my system posted above.

> pci express and agp doesn't matter. the cards are the same except for the
> way they hook up to the motherboard. The comparisons are valid for
> either/or. Besides, look at the one you posted. There is no 6600 in the
> test, and in the tests where the game is not limited by the cpu the 6800gt
> beats the 5900 series by a substantial margin.
>

> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 7:11:02 PM

So are you telling me my 2600+ is not fast enough for this game? It was
alomst a year ago when the demo came out. In fact it was In December when I
got the retail version, and has been until recently. (not arguing... asking)

Do any of the updates have anything to do with this?

"Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
>
> [snip]

> A few comments:
>
> a) The 5x00-series cards suffer from a lack of registers which tends to
> put it at a serious disadvantage when playing pixel-shader-intense DX9
> games. Previously, I owned a GeForce 5600, and fairly recently
> purchased a GeForce 6600 GT -- in DX9 games and benchmarks (like
> Aquamark), the difference is like night and day.
>
> b) In your example, the 5900 series appears to be effectively tied, in
> the 1024x768 [no AA or AF] tests, with a whole slew of other cards (in
> the range of 115 to 118 fps). Due to the large number of similar
> scores, I suspect that this particular test is CPU-bound, not GPU-
> bound .... A much more stressful (and useful) test of the cards occurs
> when AA and AF are enabled, in which case we see that the 5900 falls
> behind quite dramatically.
>
> c) You probably don't want to purchase a gfx simply for the UT2004 game
> that you're playing today .... For $300 CAD, you could purchase an XFX
> GeForce 6600 GT (versus ~$250 CAD for a GeForce 5900). The small
> difference in price is well worth it, IMO, for future playability.
>
> d) I would suggest that a more realistic benchmark of future playability
> might be a more GPU-intensive game like Far Cry (or Half Life 2) ...
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
>

> Kris

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 8:48:34 PM

Hi,

> So are you telling me my 2600+ is not fast enough for this game? It was

No, I didn't say anything to that effect. At a cursory glance, it seems
to me that your computer is fast enough to play UT2004 -- heck, I can
play it on my P4 1.7M laptop, and it still works well.

(I was just offering advice regarding your inclination toward purchasing
a 5900-series card. There are better alternatives for your money, if
you're intent on getting a new card.)

> alomst a year ago when the demo came out. In fact it was In December when I
> got the retail version, and has been until recently. (not arguing... asking)
>
> Do any of the updates have anything to do with this?

Diagnosing performance problems over Usenet is inherently difficult
because people don't know you (and don't know how competent you might
be).

e.g., for anyone to even begin making an accurate guess as to why a game
on your computer runs slowly, you would need to provide way more
information, like ...

a) What operating system are you using?

b) Are you running the latest video and sound card drivers?

c) Have you tried turning down the sound quality in the game?

d) When measuring performance, are all of the settings set to their
minimal values (in the game)? Have you overridden application defaults
(in the video card settings), perhaps by manually forcing AA or AF?

d) Have you tried starting the resolution off fairly low, and measuring
the performance at that point? In a previous post, you mentioned a very
nonstandard resolution ("1024 x 1268"). Set the resolution to 640x480,
and work its way up until things get choppy. (It's very likely that
your 5200-series card is severely underpowered for the resolution that
you want it to drive.)

e) Assuming that you're running a Windows operating system ... Have you
run a virus checker lately? If you're running Linux, is the card using
the AGPgart or the Nvidia module's built-in AGP driver? (I find the
built-in driver *much* faster.)

f) For a Windows box, have you run an anti-spyware tool recently?

g) How many background tasks do you have running (e.g., how many little
icons appear in your system tray)? When you do a 'top' (or open task
manager), and sort by memory, how much memory do you have available?
What kind of load averages do you see prior to (and during) game play?

h) When you say that the game is choppy, is that during online or
"Instant action" play? How big is the map that you're testing? (Is it
a large, custom map?) Does the choppiness change based on the map? If
it's in "Instant action", how many bots are playing? If it's in online
play, what kind of Internet connection do you have?

cheers
Kris ("Dr._V")
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:02:09 PM

Well, I called tech support for the game and spoke with someone. They
thought it was due to all the extras I had downloaded into the game.
Different mutators, and maps and all kinds of stuff.

I deleted it and reinstalled and it has fixed the problem.

I am even running at max resolution without any problems.

> Hi,
>

>> So are you telling me my 2600+ is not fast enough for this game? It was
>
> No, I didn't say anything to that effect. At a cursory glance, it seems
> to me that your computer is fast enough to play UT2004 -- heck, I can
> play it on my P4 1.7M laptop, and it still works well.
>
> (I was just offering advice regarding your inclination toward purchasing
> a 5900-series card. There are better alternatives for your money, if
> you're intent on getting a new card.)
>

>> alomst a year ago when the demo came out. In fact it was In December when
>> got the retail version, and has been until recently. (not arguing...
>> asking)
>>
>> Do any of the updates have anything to do with this?
>
> Diagnosing performance problems over Usenet is inherently difficult
> because people don't know you (and don't know how competent you might
> be).
>
> e.g., for anyone to even begin making an accurate guess as to why a game
> on your computer runs slowly, you would need to provide way more
> information, like ...
>
> a) What operating system are you using?
>
> b) Are you running the latest video and sound card drivers?
>
> c) Have you tried turning down the sound quality in the game?
>
> d) When measuring performance, are all of the settings set to their
> minimal values (in the game)? Have you overridden application defaults
> (in the video card settings), perhaps by manually forcing AA or AF?
>
> d) Have you tried starting the resolution off fairly low, and measuring
> the performance at that point? In a previous post, you mentioned a very
> nonstandard resolution ("1024 x 1268"). Set the resolution to 640x480,
> and work its way up until things get choppy. (It's very likely that
> your 5200-series card is severely underpowered for the resolution that
> you want it to drive.)
>
> e) Assuming that you're running a Windows operating system ... Have you
> run a virus checker lately? If you're running Linux, is the card using
> the AGPgart or the Nvidia module's built-in AGP driver? (I find the
> built-in driver *much* faster.)
>
> f) For a Windows box, have you run an anti-spyware tool recently?
>
> g) How many background tasks do you have running (e.g., how many little
> icons appear in your system tray)? When you do a 'top' (or open task
> manager), and sort by memory, how much memory do you have available?
> What kind of load averages do you see prior to (and during) game play?
>
> h) When you say that the game is choppy, is that during online or
> "Instant action" play? How big is the map that you're testing? (Is it
> a large, custom map?) Does the choppiness change based on the map? If
> it's in "Instant action", how many bots are playing? If it's in online
> play, what kind of Internet connection do you have?
>

> cheers
> Kris ("Dr._V")

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:07:23 AM

> > If you're running Linux, is the card using
> > the AGPgart or the Nvidia module's built-in AGP driver? (I find the
> > built-in driver *much* faster.)
>
> How would I check this?

Do a 'cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status' ... Ideally, you would see
something like:

Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Enabled
SBA: Enabled

You can force the nvidia module to use its own (built-in) AGP driver by
modifying the appropriate device section in your xorg.conf ...

e.g., here's mine ...

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "VESA driver (generic)"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
Option "RenderAccel" "1"
Option "CursorShadow" "1"
#Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"
EndSection

(As I mentioned, I find that using Linux's agpgart *severely* impacts my
OpenGL performance.)

Kris ("Dr._V")
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:15:49 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:48:34 -0500, Kris Vorwerk wrote:

> If you're running Linux, is the card using
> the AGPgart or the Nvidia module's built-in AGP driver? (I find the
> built-in driver *much* faster.)

How would I check this?

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
Anonymous

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:07:23 -0500, Kris Vorwerk wrote:

> (As I mentioned, I find that using Linux's agpgart *severely* impacts my
> OpenGL performance.)

Thanks Kris, seems to help a bit.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
Anonymous

Folk wrote:

>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

> Notice how there are about 20 cards in that chart within 2 FPS of each
> other? That means that the game is processor bound, and it wouldn't
> make any difference which card you choose.

That is true for those 20 cards, but of course upgrading from a 9600 to
a 9800 would still make a diff, also in UT2004. Am I right?

Ursa..
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 6:00:46 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:00:45 +0200, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>
>>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
>
>> Notice how there are about 20 cards in that chart within 2 FPS of each
>> other? That means that the game is processor bound, and it wouldn't
>> make any difference which card you choose.
>
>That is true for those 20 cards, but of course upgrading from a 9600 to
>a 9800 would still make a diff, also in UT2004. Am I right?
>
>Ursa..

Well, let's see....

The 9600 is pulling 103.5 FPS. The 9800 is pulling 116. That's only
a 12% increase, so it's unlikely you'll be able to tell the
difference. A faster processor would be a *much* better upgrade if
all you play is UT.

I got a 46% increase by moving from a P4 3.0 to an AMD 3500. Now
*that's* an increase you can feel.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:33:15 PM

Folk wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:00:45 +0200, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
> wrote:
>>That is true for those 20 cards, but of course upgrading from a 9600 to
>>a 9800 would still make a diff, also in UT2004. Am I right?

> Well, let's see....
>
> The 9600 is pulling 103.5 FPS. The 9800 is pulling 116. That's only
> a 12% increase, so it's unlikely you'll be able to tell the
> difference. A faster processor would be a *much* better upgrade if
> all you play is UT.

That is the XT version of the 9600. If you compare the plain vanilla
ones you get 65.0 and 116.2. And true, that is (about) the same for all
flavours of the latter.

> I got a 46% increase by moving from a P4 3.0 to an AMD 3500. Now
> *that's* an increase you can feel.

That is an amazing improvement. Surely this is also due to the different
motherboard architecture under the AMD?

Ursa..
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:33:16 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:33:15 +0200, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:00:45 +0200, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
>> wrote:
>>>That is true for those 20 cards, but of course upgrading from a 9600 to
>>>a 9800 would still make a diff, also in UT2004. Am I right?
>
>> Well, let's see....
>>
>> The 9600 is pulling 103.5 FPS. The 9800 is pulling 116. That's only
>> a 12% increase, so it's unlikely you'll be able to tell the
>> difference. A faster processor would be a *much* better upgrade if
>> all you play is UT.
>
>That is the XT version of the 9600. If you compare the plain vanilla
>ones you get 65.0 and 116.2. And true, that is (about) the same for all
>flavours of the latter.
>
>> I got a 46% increase by moving from a P4 3.0 to an AMD 3500. Now
>> *that's* an increase you can feel.
>
>That is an amazing improvement. Surely this is also due to the different
>motherboard architecture under the AMD?

Undoubtedly. I went from an Epox 4G4A+, which is a single-channel DDR
3200 mobo to a MSI K8N Neo2 with dual-channel DDR 3200. I don't know
that the single vs dual channel was such a huge difference, but having
the memory controller on the processor (a trademark of the A64
processors) *was* a big benefit. That, and the fact that AMD simply
smokes Intel when it comes to gaming.

Just to give you some ideas on the performance difference, here's some
'before and after' benchmark data. Keep in mind that both systems had
a 6800 GT as the pixel pusher:

Before After
3DMark2001 - 17,247 23,021
UTBench - 42.97 63.17
UMark Official - 464.41 676.79
Sisoft CPU - 7758 ALU 10227 ALU
4057 FPU 4519 FPU

UTBench is a homemade demo that I use for benchmarking. UMark
Official is the "official UT2004" benchmark included in the UMark
package. You can download UMark from here:
http://www.unrealmark.net/
and you can download my homemade benchmark (UTBench.zip)from here:
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/l/e/leroy200/
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:33:17 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

> Just to give you some ideas on the performance difference, here's some
> 'before and after' benchmark data. Keep in mind that both systems had
> a 6800 GT as the pixel pusher:
>
> Before After
> 3DMark2001 - 17,247 23,021
> UTBench - 42.97 63.17
> UMark Official - 464.41 676.79
> Sisoft CPU - 7758 ALU 10227 ALU
> 4057 FPU 4519 FPU

ok, a couple of questions? what resolution and aa/af settings did you use
when you ran those?

How did you get the Umark Official score? What did you run in that program?

And how did you timedemo your Utbench demo? With umark? Or some other way?
I can't remember for the life of me how to do it in 2004.

what version of sisoft?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:33:17 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> . That, and the fact that AMD simply
> smokes Intel when it comes to gaming.
>
> Just to give you some ideas on the performance difference, here's some
> 'before and after' benchmark data. Keep in mind that both systems had
> a 6800 GT as the pixel pusher:
>
> Before After
> 3DMark2001 - 17,247 23,021
> UTBench - 42.97 63.17
> UMark Official - 464.41 676.79
> Sisoft CPU - 7758 ALU 10227 ALU
> 4057 FPU 4519 FPU

so far on my 18 month old 'slowpoke p4 system' I have scored the following.
;op

sisoft sandra 2004: alu=10885 fpu=4518/8008

3dmark2001 25410
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8052648

Not sure about the ut benchmarks yet.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:25:58 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:56:52 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just to give you some ideas on the performance difference, here's some
>> 'before and after' benchmark data. Keep in mind that both systems had
>> a 6800 GT as the pixel pusher:
>>
>> Before After
>> 3DMark2001 - 17,247 23,021
>> UTBench - 42.97 63.17
>> UMark Official - 464.41 676.79
>> Sisoft CPU - 7758 ALU 10227 ALU
>> 4057 FPU 4519 FPU
>>

>ok, a couple of questions? what resolution and aa/af settings did you use
>when you ran those?

The 3DMark score used the default 1024 x 768 with no AA/AF.
I used the same resolution on the UT benches as well, although it
really doesn't matter with UT. I get the same scores with or without
AA/AF at any resolution except 1600 x 1200, which takes a slight hit.

>How did you get the Umark Official score? What did you run in that program?

There is a little arrow on the right-hand side of the window. Click
that, and you'll see you have the ability to do batch benchmark runs.
I.E., you can load as many maps as you like. Click the "Preset Tests"
button and then select the "Official UMark 2004 Test" and then click
"Use" or "Add". To match my run, select 10 x 7 and High Image
quality.

>And how did you timedemo your Utbench demo? With umark? Or some other way?
>I can't remember for the life of me how to do it in 2004.

Bring down the console and type "demoplay utbench?timedemo". This
assumes the demo is in the Demos folder. The ?timedemo switch plays
back the demo as fast as it can play. Once it finishes, bring down
the console again and there is your average FPS.

Keep in mind that the demo will play back at whatever your normal
settings are, so it will be kind of difficult to do a direct
comparison with my run. FWIW, here are the settings I use:

10 x 7, 32 bit
HW 3D + EAX (this is a big factor since the demo plays with sound)
Texture Detail - Normal
Character Detail - Normal
World Detail - Low
Physics Detail - Normal
Dynamic Mesh LOD - Normal
Decals - None (unchecked)
Character Shadows - None
Projectors - Unchecked
Foliage - Unchecked

Those are my normal, every-day settings. The two killer settings are
World Detail to Low and unchecking Projectors. Those two settings
alone account for a 15% performance hit. Ouch.

And that is one mean demo. It will bring virtually any system to it's
knees.

>what version of sisoft?

2005.2.10.50
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:36:09 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:21:51 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> . That, and the fact that AMD simply
>> smokes Intel when it comes to gaming.
>>
>> Just to give you some ideas on the performance difference, here's some
>> 'before and after' benchmark data. Keep in mind that both systems had
>> a 6800 GT as the pixel pusher:
>>
>> Before After
>> 3DMark2001 - 17,247 23,021
>> UTBench - 42.97 63.17
>> UMark Official - 464.41 676.79
>> Sisoft CPU - 7758 ALU 10227 ALU
>> 4057 FPU 4519 FPU
>>

>so far on my 18 month old 'slowpoke p4 system' I have scored the following.
>;op
>
>sisoft sandra 2004: alu=10885 fpu=4518/8008

Damn. Which P4 do you have? According to the comparison chart in my
version of Sandra, a P4 E 570 @ 3.8 pulls alu=10312 and fpu=2555/4698.
Must be a version difference or you're overclocking like mad. :-)

>3dmark2001 25410
>http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8052648

OK, now that I've looked at this, I see you are overclocking a bit.
According to my math you're running a P4 3.2... correct?

Here's my stock score:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8478826

And here's my O/C score:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8483631

My 6800 GT is not overclocked in either of those tests.

You have an Ultra? Sweet....
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:36:10 PM

> Damn. Which P4 do you have? According to the comparison chart in my
> version of Sandra, a P4 E 570 @ 3.8 pulls alu=10312 and fpu=2555/4698.

I have a 3.2EE on an asus p4c800 E with 1gb of ocz pc4000 gold

> Must be a version difference or you're overclocking like mad. :-)

I'm not overclocking this one much, only 400mhz, I will get the new version
and see what happens.

?

> Here's my stock score:
> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8478826
>
> And here's my O/C score:
> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8483631
>
> My 6800 GT is not overclocked in either of those tests.
>
> You have an Ultra? Sweet....

I had a GT, here is the score for the GT at stock speeds, 23415
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8002348

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:42:50 PM

Folk schrieb:

> Bring down the console and type "demoplay utbench?timedemo".  This
> assumes the demo is in the Demos folder.  The ?timedemo switch plays
> back the demo as fast as it can play.  Once it finishes, bring down
> the console again and there is your average FPS.

how do I bring down the console in linux?
I have the de_DE@Euro keyboard layout.

--

Bora Ugurlu
mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

Bora Ugurlu wrote:

> how do I bring down the console in linux?
> I have the de_DE@Euro keyboard layout.

On my english keybord it's the key above tab "`" or "¬" , acording to
looking at pictures in google that would be your "^" key. :)
acording to your user.ini it would be whatever key you set =ConsoleToggle

hth
--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk LE2005 10.2 2.6.11.1

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:00:19 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Damn. Which P4 do you have? According to the comparison chart in my
>> version of Sandra, a P4 E 570 @ 3.8 pulls alu=10312 and fpu=2555/4698.
>

>I have a 3.2EE on an asus p4c800 E with 1gb of ocz pc4000 gold

Very nice. I've heard nothing but good things about that Asus mobo.

I was really torn when I upgraded my P4 3.0. I was running it on an
older 845G chipset mobo, and 3.0 was the max it would take. Actually,
the max was 2.8, but I was overclocking it to 3.0. An upgrade meant
moving to a PCI Express based system, and that presented a problem.
I paid almost $400 for my 6800 GT six months ago, and I didn't like
the idea of chucking it for a PCI-e card... especially since there was
no performance gain. So I looked at the AMD side of things, and found
that unlike Intel, I could still use their fastest and newest
processors on an older AGP based NForce 3 chipset board. That,
coupled with the fact that AMD basically owns the gaming side of
things these days, and I decided to switch. I had run AMD systems in
the past up to the TBird 1.4, but got really pissed off at the
"issues" surrounding VIA chipsets and switched over to Intel. I was
very happy with the stability of the Intel systems. I guess a lot has
changed since then, because today's crop of AMD chipsets appear to be
just as stable as the Intel chipsets.

I'm still a generation behind, but I figure I'll upgrade my mobo to
the NForce 4 (or whatever exists then) when I do my next vid card
upgrade, although I don't expect that to be anytime soon. From the
benches I've seen, there's currently no performance benefits from
PCE-e on either side of the fence, so I don't feel like I'm missing
out on anything. And this thing eats ONS for lunch... I'm basically
locked at the online framerate cap of 85 FPS.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:18:32 AM

sid schrieb:

> acording to your user.ini it would be whatever key you set =ConsoleToggle

got it, thx
--

Bora Ugurlu
mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

If you recently upgraded you made the right choice. The a64 is a kick ass
processor, and one of the best for gaming right now. I built this system
before there was such a thing as the a64 cpu and when intel on the i875
chipset was the king of gaming or I would probably have an amd64 right now
myself, but only on an nvidia motherboard. via can go in the trash for all
I care, I have never had a good experience with them, even though I still
have a via chipset running my xp1800+ ;op

This old beast of a p4 has served me well for quite a while now and
hopefully will continue until the dual core a64's are out. It would be hard
giving up the hyperthreading that intel has.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:37:01 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:51:23 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>It would be hard giving up the hyperthreading that intel has.

Word. For anyone that multitasks, the silky smoothness of
hyperthreading has a lot to offer. Dual core should address that
nicely.
!