How to test a PSU?

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hi all - I just bought an Antec Earthwatts 380D when it was on a good sale at Newegg over the weekend. I am waiting till SB in January to build my system.

Is there any way for me to test this PSU to make sure it "works" as I will be past the RMA time period by January? Is there a light or something on it? Should I just open my current Dell and plug a couple of the Sata power cords into my current HDDs and see if they fire up? Any other ideas?

Granted I took a risk as the PSU was twenty five bucks which seemed to be a good price, but I don't want to keep it in the box and then find out its DOA come January.....

Solution
It's smart to want to make sure it works, putting it in your Dell would be a sure fire way of making sure.
Other than that you will only be able to do a no-load/low-load test by connecting a fan to one of the molex and jumping the green wire on the 24 pin connector with any of the black wires , then hitting the switch.
Don't let the $25 after rebate price fool you, they are decent little unit's.
It's smart to want to make sure it works, putting it in your Dell would be a sure fire way of making sure.
Other than that you will only be able to do a no-load/low-load test by connecting a fan to one of the molex and jumping the green wire on the 24 pin connector with any of the black wires , then hitting the switch.
Don't let the $25 after rebate price fool you, they are decent little unit's.

Solution

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Thanks! Prob not gonna spend $25 to make sure my $25 PSU works.....I'd say the odds are with me.....

And no the price didn't fool me! I had read some reviews a few weeks back and saw that the E380D was a nice unit, so when I saw it for $25 I hit it......I was originally gonna get it in a combo with an Antec 300, but I've now decided to go with CM 690 ii, so I doubt it will be bundled with a competitors' case......

I'll just do a little plugging in and make sure it doesn't blow up, and then I guess I should be fine.