Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to test a PSU?

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2010 6:15:22 PM

Hi all - I just bought an Antec Earthwatts 380D when it was on a good sale at Newegg over the weekend. I am waiting till SB in January to build my system.

Is there any way for me to test this PSU to make sure it "works" as I will be past the RMA time period by January? Is there a light or something on it? Should I just open my current Dell and plug a couple of the Sata power cords into my current HDDs and see if they fire up? Any other ideas?

Granted I took a risk as the PSU was twenty five bucks which seemed to be a good price, but I don't want to keep it in the box and then find out its DOA come January.....

More about : test psu

Related resources

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
November 17, 2010 6:30:30 PM

It's smart to want to make sure it works, putting it in your Dell would be a sure fire way of making sure.
Other than that you will only be able to do a no-load/low-load test by connecting a fan to one of the molex and jumping the green wire on the 24 pin connector with any of the black wires , then hitting the switch.
Don't let the $25 after rebate price fool you, they are decent little unit's.
November 17, 2010 10:35:45 PM

Thanks! Prob not gonna spend $25 to make sure my $25 PSU works.....I'd say the odds are with me.....

And no the price didn't fool me! I had read some reviews a few weeks back and saw that the E380D was a nice unit, so when I saw it for $25 I hit it......I was originally gonna get it in a combo with an Antec 300, but I've now decided to go with CM 690 ii, so I doubt it will be bundled with a competitors' case......

I'll just do a little plugging in and make sure it doesn't blow up, and then I guess I should be fine.

m
l
November 17, 2010 10:36:24 PM

Best answer selected by hogan773.
m
l
!