Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USA-based tech support for laptops???

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 12:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I want to buy a new laptop for my son for his high school graduation.
I would like to buy from a company that has their tech support in the
USA, not India or some other country. Any help would be appreciated!
Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 1:58:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jward52 wrote:
>
> I want to buy a new laptop for my son for his high school graduation.
> I would like to buy from a company that has their tech support in the
> USA, not India or some other country. Any help would be appreciated!
> Jim

If you purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, you're given
the option of their "Gold Tech Support program, which affords one the
opportunity to speak to a US based tech, in a timely manner.

I'm sure there are similar programs through other manufacturers.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 3:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"jward52" <rjward52@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1102916581.450205.129590@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I want to buy a new laptop for my son for his high school graduation.
> I would like to buy from a company that has their tech support in the
> USA, not India or some other country. Any help would be appreciated!
> Jim
>
IBM, Apple
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 4:41:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi Jim,
Glad you asked this question. As you already know, many of our
competitors have outsourced their tech support overseas. Others offer
very little or no experienced tech support.
We offer experienced tech support based in the U.S. only. No need
for special tech support options with us.
If you would like a new laptop for your son, check out our online
offers at www.siliconalleycomputers.com . If you don't find exactly
what you are looking for or if you have something already in mind, you
can contact us for a quote.
Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 6:20:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 12 Dec 2004 21:43:01 -0800, "jward52" <rjward52@comcast.net> wrote:

>I want to buy a new laptop for my son for his high school graduation.
>I would like to buy from a company that has their tech support in the
>USA, not India or some other country. Any help would be appreciated!


I believe Fujitsu may qualify.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 6:20:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I believe that Fujitsu's telephone tech support is in Canada. Their repair
facility is in the US, however.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 14, 2004 3:20:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If you want US Only support, then you are ruling out the following
companies...

HP, Compaq, Dell (Unless you purchase a special service contract),
Gateway, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, Medion

Then, you are only left with off-brand systems, or custom builds from
companies in which you will be supporting your hardware yourself.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 14, 2004 6:59:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"projectle" <ty@theravibes.com> wrote in message
news:1103012434.615701.155170@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> If you want US Only support, then you are ruling out the following
> companies...
>
> HP, Compaq, Dell (Unless you purchase a special service contract),
> Gateway, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, Medion
>
> Then, you are only left with off-brand systems, or custom builds from
> companies in which you will be supporting your hardware yourself.
>
IBM or Apple are off-brand to you?!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 1:57:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I recently used Gateway support for my laptop and can't rave enough
about the attention I received.

I had trouble connecting to the internet. The System Diagnostics kept
telling me the modem was working correctly so I thought it might be a
virus or something. Took it to Best Buys who kept it for almost four
weeks without finding the problem. That was when I discovered I still
had a couple of months on an extended warrantee. After a phone call
(sounded American to me) and a couple of e-mails back and forth with
Gateway, they had Fed Ex deliver a special box for me to pack the
laptop in. It was returned to me as good as new a couple of days
later.

Granted, my laptop had a fairly minor problem (replaced the modem) but
I'm still impressed enough to continue business with Gateway.
Chris
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 3:09:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Well, apparently you have not been following the news...

IBM is selling their PC Divison to a company in China. So, they are
out from a combination that there support will likely be going too and
the uncertainty of future levels of support and product quality.

Additonally, Apple only holds 1.7% of the Global Market (As of June
2004)

That being the case, I would consider Apple to be an "Off-Brand".
They are a well known one, but it is still the case, especially since
companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, and several others have double digit
market share.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 7:06:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Well, in Gateway's defense, the problems that you had were with
dealing with Best Buy.

All companies dealing with Tech Support Problems want to make sure
that a problem does in fact exist before they dish out probably 40-50
bucks in shipping plus some technicians time in order to find out that
the operator is an idiot.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 3:46:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"projectle" <ty@theravibes-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:41c118a2$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...

Try and place your postings in relation to the one you're replying to.

> Well, apparently you have not been following the news...
>
> IBM is selling their PC Divison to a company in China. So, they are
> out from a combination that there support will likely be going too and
> the uncertainty of future levels of support and product quality.
>
First of all, ThinkPads have been manufactured in China for some time now.
At this moment we don't know how this deal will affect support and product
quality so this is all pure speculation on your part.

> Additonally, Apple only holds 1.7% of the Global Market (As of June
> 2004)
>
> That being the case, I would consider Apple to be an "Off-Brand".
> They are a well known one, but it is still the case, especially since
> companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, and several others have double digit
> market share.
>
Therefore you don't seem to understand the concept of a "brand". It's not
about market share but rather about quality, recognition and being perceived
as cool, trendy and sought after.
!