Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading an old PC

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2010 10:38:29 PM

*I didnt know where to post this, so posted it in PreBuilt section too, could a mod please close this or the other thread*

Hi Guys :hello: !

I was looking to upgrade my computer but i dont really want to buy a new one because i want to wait till 2011 :D . Anyways....

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: Absolute limit - $300 CAD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Minor games and mostly surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Hardive, Optical drive, PSU and Case. Parts that i need = Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphics card.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca and memoryexpress.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need a Graphics card that doesnt require psu power cable. My current psu doesnt have a pcie connector. PSU = 350W

These are the parts that i picked out:

AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 3.0ghz

BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100289L Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-2GBNS

Total: $290

If you guys could find better parts that would be great :p 
Also can you guys check if these are compatible or not and did i pick the right parts or not. Sorry, I really have no idea about parts and what not...

Thank you in Advance :D  :love: 

OHHH btw, i can only fit a micro ATX in the case :D 

More about : upgrading

August 29, 2010 1:00:25 AM

If you're only going to be playing some minor games then get the HD 5670. I recommend the ASUS version for the dust-proof fan. The rest of your parts seem fine to me but if you have the cash then go for a triple-core CPU.
m
l
!