$1100 Build - How is it?

Dav0r

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hello, tom's hardware community!

I have recently picked out the parts for my new rig that will be used for rendering, 3D modeling, gaming, ect. [:dav0r]

There's only one thing. I don't know if they are all compatible. So I have came towards you guys to help me out.

Here are the parts:

Total Price: $1099.91 [Coincidence?]

Case: Corsair Obsidian 700D
GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
OD: SAMSUNG 24x DVD Burner - Bulk SATA Model SH-S243N/BEBS LightScribe Support - OEM

The only things I've heard is that the CPU is not that great with Gaming. I'm a Corsair Fanatic so I'm going to be sticking with that.

Dav0r

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Oops, forgot to mention that I do need a monitor [not included in budget, but has to have a reasonable price], any suggestions? Mostly wanted brand is Dell, but I'll take any know brands also.

Yes it's all compatible.
When you say you're going to be sticking with Corsair, do you mean case (in which case fair enough) or PSU (in which case there are better options for a similar price). Surprised you didn't go for Corsair RAM, being a 'Corsair Fanatic' afterall.
OCZ RAM have a pretty bad reputation for having sticks that are difficult to get running at their rated specs stably, so maybe you would want to see if you could get something else. Just a heads up.

The thing about the 1055T is that it's clock speed is slower than the cheaper 955/965, which hurts it's performance in gaming in comparison. So you get less gaming performance for more money spent, which would show up in an unfavourable place on a 'value' chart. OCing would obviously solve this problem.

shoyriazu

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
This is what I use as a monitor, dunno if you've heard of Asus, but I do like it. Pretty bright IMO, no dead pixels when I got mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

Some people complain about the bleed, which only shows during a black screen. Otherwise it's not there.

Also, I've seen some recent reviews about Spinpoints failing because they're being made in China instead of Korea now. I don't own one so I can't comment, but do be careful.

As for Ram, you might as well use the DDR-1600 spec. I personally use G.Skill. I was skeptical at first but they're a really good brand and they run at specs as promised. Might cost you an additional 10 dollars or so to do that...