Upgradable Microprocessor??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 7:26:28 AM

Does any one know of a AMD HP or Dell Laptop system That the processor
can be upgraded to a faster processor??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 7:26:29 AM

Howard Huntley <hhuntleyjr@comcast.net> writes:
> Does any one know of a AMD HP or Dell Laptop system That the
> processor can be upgraded to a faster processor??

Generally, laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There have been some
rare exceptions over the years but I don't think any current ones are.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 12:07:03 PM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Howard Huntley <hhuntleyjr@comcast.net> writes:
>> Does any one know of a AMD HP or Dell Laptop system That the
>> processor can be upgraded to a faster processor??
>
> Generally, laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There have been some
> rare exceptions over the years but I don't think any current ones are.

There are "bare bones" laptops available with no processor--those would
certainly be upgradeable.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Many of the high-end laptops are all "upgradable", although no t
supported in any way by the manufacturer.

For example, I have owned 6 Toshiba Laptops, 3 HP Laptops, and a
handful of others from various manufacturers, and if they are fairly
standardized, or if there are multiple models in the same Product Line
that have almost identical specifications, only different processor
speeds, then the processors are generally upgradable.

Also, every Toshiba laptop that I have owned has been easily
upgradable.

1 of the HP Laptops that I have owned has been upgradable.

My Fujitsu Tablet PC ST-5010D is upgradable.

I have not personally owned any dell systems, although several
colleagues do, and they claim that they are easily upgradable.

As a suggestion, with the level of technology changes over the past
couple months, you may want to try to get a laptop with a user
upgradable graphics card using the PCI-X standard.

One of the biggest problems that I have ever had with systems is as
time goes on, you need more graphics processing power.

I am not talking about for games. Programs such as Photoshop or Paint
Shop Pro have begun to use the Graphics Card for compositing the images
that you edit. What that means is that if you are opening a diecent
size picture in one of these applications, you need to make sure that
you have at least double the graphics memory of the size of the image.

So, if you have 8MB of dedicated graphics memory, you can safely open
up to a 4MB image without causing substantial slowdowns or crashing
your computer.

As well, now DVD Player applications are requiring atleast 32MB of
dedicated onboard video memory.
!