Desktop Icon labels - outline fonts

bill

I just did a clean reinstall of XPpro and all of the icons on my desktop
now display with outlines (ie: the glyph is white with a black border)
rather than as solid. It doesn't matter what font I select for the icon
label: Arial, Trebuchet, Georgia, etc. the selected font always displays
as an outline. It's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this and, more to the point,
how do I fix it?

Bill

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:40:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

> I just did a clean reinstall of XPpro and all of the icons on my desktop
> now display with outlines (ie: the glyph is white with a black border)
> rather than as solid. It doesn't matter what font I select for the icon
> label: Arial, Trebuchet, Georgia, etc. the selected font always displays
> as an outline. It's driving me nuts.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this and, more to the point,
> how do I fix it?
>
> Bill

Drop shadows on icon labels = white text outlined and shadowed. Desktop
wallpaper shown underneath text.

No drop shadows = automatic white text on a dark background; automatic
black text on light background. Instead of wallpaper, the background of the
icon label will show the desktop's background color.

To enable/disable drop shadows: System Properties> Advanced> Performance>
Settings> Visual Effects. Uncheck the box to use drop shadows for icon
labels.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Bill,

Previously posted by Kelly.

Three phases here:

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the
bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

Underlined: Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/Click Items as
Follows.

Added info: Desktop Text Color:

By default in XP, it can't be manually changed. The text changes on
its own
from dark to light depending on the color of the background. It is
based on
the Desktop color not the Wallpaper. The combo is whether or not you
are
using a Wallpaper and what the Desktop color is.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Bill wrote:
> I just did a clean reinstall of XPpro and all of the
> icons on my desktop now display with outlines (ie: the
> glyph is white with a black border) rather than as solid.
> It doesn't matter what font I select for the icon label:
> Arial, Trebuchet, Georgia, etc. the selected font always
> displays as an outline. It's driving me nuts.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this and, more
> to the point, how do I fix it?
>
> Bill

bill

Yes!

Thanks Bert & Sharon, getting rid of the drop shadow did the trick and
the labels are easily readable once more.

Bill

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:59:25 -0400, Bill wrote:

> Yes!
>
> Thanks Bert & Sharon, getting rid of the drop shadow did the trick and
> the labels are easily readable once more.
>
> Bill

You're most welcome, Bill.
--
Sharon F