$1000 gaming computer

GunDragon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
This would be my first time building a PC but I've been looking around for a while now. I've asked some advice from some other people but more input certainly couldn't hurt.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-3 Weeks

BUDGET RANGE: 1000-1200 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: The system would mostly be for gaming. I may do a little more advanced stuff(editing of photos/videos) but it's not really heavy stuff.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Don't need to include peripherials(kb, mouse, moniter, etc)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No major preferences

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

My main goal with this computer is that I want to be able to play most current games at max(or close to it) setting. The key games I'm looking at are Civilization 5 and later, Shogun TW 2. Civ 5 shouldn't be hard to beat. However, if Civ 4 is any indication, I'd like to blow the recommended hardware out of the water to allow for the(hopefully) huge modding community. I can post the recommended settings if needed.

Historically, I've always bottlenecked myself via the processor, and a part of me has always thought that if the processor needs replacing than might as well replace the entire computer.

My initial thoughts are something along the lines of

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

for the processor. From what I've read, this should destroy most current games as long as the GPU is up to snuff. My general thought would be to overclock the CPU as needed as years pass by to prevent a major upgrade situation(also I believe I read somewhere that the socket that the i7's use will probably be the socket that later intels use anyways). I'm a little iffy on using AMDs if only because I have heard rumors that AMD's Bulldozer will use a different socket than the current 965s/1090s use. Also, I had heard something about needing to fiddle with MOBO settings to get i7s to work properly. Is this correct?

EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

for the GPU. I intend to SLI/Crossfire whatever I get to allow for longevity.

I really don't know enough about the other parts(PSUs and MOBOs expecially) to make an informed discision. This is where I would appreciate the most help in suggestions(beyond wether or not my general approach is sound or not). A friend of mine suggested a full ATX case. Is that a good suggestion or can I make do with a smaller case considering my future plans?

RAM wise I was thinking something along the lines of 6 or 8 GB. IIRC 6 is needed for the i7s but will 8 do as well?

I know $1000 should get me a great gaming rig but I'm also thinking about future upgrades and what would be needed.

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010