Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Over Heating CPU???

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 9:17:13 PM

Hey, I have a CPU that had over heated (Phenom II x4 940 BE). My computer still turns on but nothing comes up on the screen, it just stays blue,, i looked on other forums and they all say its my GPU (GTX460). I took that out and tryed my on-board graphics but still the screen stays blue.

Any advice is appreciated, If you need to know any more PC specs that that's perfectly fine

Thanks in advance. :hello: 

More about : heating cpu

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2010 9:41:56 PM

To switch to the on-board graphics you will need access to the BIOS. Unfortunately, you can't see anything on the screen...
Try borrowing a CPU from another system. Plug that in and also plug back in the discrete graphics card. See if it boots up fine and if you can see it. If so, enter the BIOS and switch to the on-board graphics. Power off the PC. Remove the card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics port. Power up the PC. You shoould see now the booting process using the on-board graphics.
Of course, this is an exercise in futility, since if it works you have already diagnosed the problem: the CPU is bad.
Those CPU's, however, should have thermal protection on-die, which means that they automatically shut off when they overheat. Hence, I also believe it is the Graphics card. In this case, you will need to borrow another graphics card and after entering the BIOS to switch to the on-board graphics until you can purchase a new card. Procedure is as above, but no CPU switch needed.
Let us know how it works.
m
l
November 18, 2010 2:48:06 AM

..did you try jumping the bios or clearing it?

some mobos have a crashless bios which is nice and some do not.
you may have to move a jumper and remove the motherboards battery.

if switching the video did not jarr the system. i would assume perhaps a setting in regards to cpu timing/voltage is askew.

i would super hope that its solvable via clearing the bios
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2010 3:04:01 AM

Hi SilverLiquicity,

Here is a post shortstuff_mt wrote up: PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! It is a really great trouble-shooting guide, I am not saying this will solve the problem you are having, but it may be helpfull just to give it a read through and see if it can help you at all. Again I didnt write this, I am just reffering you to the guide, all credit goes to: shortstuff_mt
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
November 18, 2010 11:16:29 PM

Quote:
no beeps no post nothing. CPU busted im afraid

All you know right now is no post, no beeps. Anything else is just a premature guess.

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
This is what thechief linked to.
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

One of the first steps is to clear the BIOS. Among other things, that means that the on-board video is enabled. Most modern - or semi-modern - motherboards will detect the presence of a video card and automatically disable the on-board chip.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beeps patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU. You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Motherboard LED's mean very little. When on, all they are telling you is that the computer os plugged into a live power socket and the PSU is switched.

Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

a b à CPUs
April 4, 2011 10:33:43 AM

Best answer selected by SilverLiquicity.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2011 10:35:37 AM

thankyou for all the replys, i decided to go ahead and buy a new cpu (Phenom ii x6 1090t), unfortunatly more bad news, only 4 of the 6 cores are showing, i updated to latest bios (N7F) from gigabyte if that helps. =)
m
l
!