How bad would it be to upgrade only the GFX Card and not other parts?

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
I am using a desktop computer with the following spec:

MB: Asrock 939N (?) I couldn't recall the proper name.
CPU: 2.0 GHz Athlon64 X2
HD: RAID 0
RAM: 2GB RAM DDR1
GFX: ATI X1600 EAX
PS: Enermax 350W

This computer is 4 years old, uses only 120W at 100% peak and I am thinking of upgrading the GFX because the computer is having trouble with decent framerate. I am thinking of only changing the GFX, but other old components would be bottlenecks. I am wondering how bad will it get? For instance, if I replace X1600 with 5850, I won't get 100% performance. The question is how severe will the bottleneck be? Will I only get half the performance of 5850 or even worse? Does it even worth it to upgrade?

(To be honest, I wanna play Crysis on High setting)

Solution
Forget about the HD5850. It is entirely unsuited to your processor, power supply and monitor. An HD5670 would be a good choice. It will work on your power supply and while it will still be limited some by your processor in a lot of games it is still a much better match. It will allow you to play all but a few current games well with high settings at your resolution. For reference the HD5670 is approximately 4 times as powerful as your x1600.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870
Forget about the HD5850. It is entirely unsuited to your processor, power supply and monitor. An HD5670 would be a good choice. It will work on your power supply and while it will still be limited some by your processor in a lot of games it is still a much better match. It will allow you to play all but a few current games well with high settings at your resolution. For reference the HD5670 is approximately 4 times as powerful as your x1600.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870

Solution

Helltech

Distinguished
It says 400W recommended, but you dont need that. They are just trying to save their asses in case something does go bad/get more money of you.

A card that only gets power from the motherboard will not take more then 75 wats of power, ever.

You are safe with that choice.

BTW, what the hell, Neweggs new layout is crap.

Helltech

Distinguished

What, yeah they had a new layout and they even gave me a questionair as to if I liked it or not... after saying I didn't and click all the "bad" options, it went back to normal.. Thats odd, carry on. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Had a different layout.. shrug.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yeah, it must be in testing or something now. If you click the link in my previous post it might show up for you.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yeah I realized it was a URL difference after looking at the link you sent earlier in the thread.

So it seems just closing out of Firefox and reopening "fixed" everything from defaulting to the new layout for me and had nothing to do with that survey thing I filled out.

Either way I hope that doesn't go mainstream, its poorly designed in my opinion.

To get some idea of your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

There is no way you can run Crysis at high settings without a very strong graphics card.

His CPU is obviously better than his card. There is no need to test such. However that doesn't mean his CPU is particularly good for current games. Also both of the tests you suggest are overly simplistic and could give radically different and misleading results based on what game is used for the testing.

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
unfortunately, the 5670 uses PCIe 2.1, which is incompatible to my ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2. BIOS will not post. Tried with newer motherboards, and they do work. In this case, I changed to GT240. 20% weaker, but it also does not require extra power connector just like the 5670.