Laptop with best audio output. Any measurements available?

Hi,

looking for a laptop with good to excellent audio output (line-out).

Are there any links to tests and/or measurements in the net?
Also electrical specs would be nice...

Would like not to use an external (USB-) soundcard.

Tried three different laptops so far, all have low levels and/or heavily
distortions on their audio outputs.

Juergen
3 answers Last reply
More about laptop audio output measurements available

    "Juergen Marquardt" <marquardt@alc.de> writes:
    > looking for a laptop with good to excellent audio output (line-out).

    I've heard some Sony's are ok, but I really wouldn't expect too much.
    I'm using a Griffin iMic external USB converter which is quite small
    and reasonably inexpensive. It may not be absolutely audiophile
    grade, but it's at least as good as typical consumer stereo stuff.

    You could always get an external sound card, such as the creative extigy. It
    hooks up via usb, so it cuts out your internal sound card completely. Even
    supports 5.1 surround (or possibly more, not sure). I've heard good things
    about it and its not too expensive

    "Juergen Marquardt" <marquardt@alc.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > looking for a laptop with good to excellent audio output (line-out).
    >
    > Are there any links to tests and/or measurements in the net?
    > Also electrical specs would be nice...
    >
    > Would like not to use an external (USB-) soundcard.
    >
    > Tried three different laptops so far, all have low levels and/or heavily
    > distortions on their audio outputs.
    >
    > Juergen

    I'd guess they're all likely to be fairly poor, so consider adding a sound
    card, either via a slot or a USB one. I've used a usb one with my laptop
    because it provided surround sound and it came with surround sound
    headphones and I wanted to try them out with a game I had, and usb sound
    cards work surprisingly well and easy once you learn the trick of making
    them the preferred sound source, but allow windows to use non-preferred
    sound sources when they're not plugged in.

    hth,

    Chip

    "Juergen Marquardt" <marquardt@alc.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > looking for a laptop with good to excellent audio output (line-out).
    >
    > Are there any links to tests and/or measurements in the net?
    > Also electrical specs would be nice...
    >
    > Would like not to use an external (USB-) soundcard.
    >
    > Tried three different laptops so far, all have low levels and/or heavily
    > distortions on their audio outputs.
    >
    > Juergen

Laptops Audio