Upgrading power supply

Aldmare

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dell 0T568R motherboard, it came standard with a 350W PSU. I contacted Dell regarding a PSU upgrade and they told me a PSU upgrade was not recommended.

"If you want to Upgrade the power supply , you Have to check with the system chasis design and it also should be compatible with the system board requirements."

The PSU bay is huge and will fit, I would think, any new PSU unit.

My question is, has anyone upgraded this MB to a higher PSU or purchased it with a higher PSU. Or if anyone just knows if a higher PSU will not hurt my computer. I would like to upgrade the PSU in order to upgrade my graphics card.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Aldmare, welcome to THW.

First, **If you Dell is still under warranty, IIRC opening the case will VOID it**

Second, I cannot find specific info on your motherboard, but I am assuming its fairly new, so all you need is to buy any ATX 12v 24pin PSU. If you want to double check compatability count the connectors on the motherboard power connector it will be either 20pin or 24pin, if its 20pin buy a PSU that says ATX 12v 20+4 pin.

Third - Any modern PSU will work for your system, you cannot fry a PC by using a large PSU, the PC will only draw the power it needs and that what the PSU will provide it, so there is no problem with how many watts of overhead your PSU has.

Fourth - Best PSU brands: Seasonic, Corsair, Antec.

Nicely detailed.. I don't see if there is anything left to be added..

Aldmare

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Thank you both for your reply's. The voided warranty doesn't bother me, I only have like 1½ months left on it. I didn't know about the overhead issue, where the computer will only draw as much as it needs, I figured it would just take it all and something drastic would happen, good to know.

So I will upgrade to a 650, and see how that goes.
Again, thank you both for your reply's.

Nick

Nah, the warranty just won't cover any after market components.
If there is a need to call for support they will ask that the original component be reinstalled in order to rule out the upgrade as being the issue.