leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi there,

Am doing as much research as I can on a new HTPC build before I take the plunge and make my first HTPC. I have built lots of PCs before but I realise HTPC has its own very special differences and so I'm asking the professionals!

I'm looking to spend around 700 bucks (I'm in New Zealand and $700 US is $1000 NZ -- anything over that and I'm going to get in trouble :)

Requirements:

- Freeview capable tuner, able to record at least one channel while watchign another. It has to be satellite not terrestrial at the moment because we can't get a terrestrial signal where we live.

- Win 7 Media Centre. I have a license for Win 7 Ultimate (I guess that makes a 64-bit system a necessity as well)

- Low form factor -- needs to fit into an HTPC case, something like the Lian-Li C37B (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/hometheatre/componentview.asp?partid=7811)

- Quiet as possible

I think that's about it. Any advice would be fantastic!

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Mostly I'm going to be watching stuff. I will record TV, watch media files, listen to music.

I don't do a lot of encoding, and what I do do I will probably do on my desktop, unless someone convinces me that being able to rip DVDs and archive them from the HTPC is a very handy thing to be able to do.

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Ooops I just read the sticky with the posting guidelines. Sorry! Here's the template filled out:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 6 months

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) Around 700 bucks.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Home Theatre; watching and recording TV, media files, viewing pictures etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Not worried about advice for peripherals at this stage; just case and inner bits.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.pricespy.co.nz

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: New Zealand

PARTS PREFERENCES: Very keen on using the Lian-Li case already linked in this thread, although happy to be convinced otherwise.

OVERCLOCKING: nah, not really.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Dont think this would be necessary for an HTPC

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Plugging into my HDTV (1080p)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: woulkd like the TV card to be Freeview capable, have at least two tuners and it needs to be satellite compatible as terrestrial signal is out for me :(

Cheers!

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks Dougie -- definitely a no-gaming box this one and yes, had thought that maybe an onboard GPU would be a better idea. Cuts down noise too... Do you think I would still need the 350W PSU?

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
350W-400W is a good range, even 300W just in case at some point you do decide you want to drop a HD5670 or something like that in there.

Either of the Seasonic OEM 300W or 350W 80+ Bronze PSUs will do -- depending on what's for sale and what's available. Sometimes the 350W is cheaper than the 300W and sometimes the other way around.

The Antec EA-380D is another good choice too.

I haven't found any 80+ PSUs < 300W but I've read that's because there's not much money in that for manufacturers.

I hope you can find those in NZ.

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
OK, I've taken the above suggestions and formed a first draft, tweaking where necessary for availability:

i3-540

Asus P7H55-M PRO

LiteOn iHOS104 Blu-ray drive

G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2x2GB Value pack

Lian Li PC-C37B MUSE Multi-Media M-ATX Home Theatre Case

Antec Earthwatts EA380D

Caviar Blue WD10EALS, 1000GB, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, SATA-2

Would be keen to hear if this looks OK; my current main unknown is the case. There are so many case options out there but I'm a fan of Lian-Li and this one isn't too expensive.

Thanks all for help so far! Been extremely useful. You guys rock.