Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD Red: For NAS only?

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2012 11:04:21 PM

I just bought the Western Digital Red 3TB hard drive for my Dell XPS 435t/9000 as a second drive for media. I just realized that the red is "designed" for NAS systems. Can I use this as a "regular" hard drive? If yes, am I losing anything over another similarly situated "regular" hard drive? I can return it quite easily (it is still in the box).

Thanks

P.S. I am running Windows 7 64-Bit Pro

More about : red nas

Best solution

December 4, 2012 12:22:17 AM

They work fine as a regular HDD
difference between normal and RED (nas) drives is Price and some Hardware level error correction stuff for raid solution
December 4, 2012 12:27:24 AM

Was just looking at these. Yeah there just fine. And really there better than WD greens so the price was right in my book.

btw, Fahk seagate

cheers!
Related resources
December 4, 2012 2:09:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. Since I am only going to use it for storing media files, I figure the additional 1TB of storage is better than the performance associated with the WD Black (and its 2TB).
December 14, 2012 12:22:09 AM

Best answer selected by tallen234.
September 11, 2013 11:16:58 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
They work fine as a regular HDD
difference between normal and RED (nas) drives is Price and some Hardware level error correction stuff for raid solution

RED drives also run at 5400 RPM, have 3 year warranty and lower MTBF ratings from the enterprise drives (7200 RPM, 5 year warranty and higher MTBFs). Enterprise discs are more expensive but aside from other features, the increased speed and better warranty should make-up for their increased cost and they also include the time-limited error recovery (TLER) feature which is included in the RED drives.

See this table to compare features: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7258/battle-of-the-4-tb-n...
See
!