WD Red: For NAS only?

tallen234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I just bought the Western Digital Red 3TB hard drive for my Dell XPS 435t/9000 as a second drive for media. I just realized that the red is "designed" for NAS systems. Can I use this as a "regular" hard drive? If yes, am I losing anything over another similarly situated "regular" hard drive? I can return it quite easily (it is still in the box).

Thanks

P.S. I am running Windows 7 64-Bit Pro

tallen234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Since I am only going to use it for storing media files, I figure the additional 1TB of storage is better than the performance associated with the WD Black (and its 2TB).

Ed Toussieh

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

RED drives also run at 5400 RPM, have 3 year warranty and lower MTBF ratings from the enterprise drives (7200 RPM, 5 year warranty and higher MTBFs). Enterprise discs are more expensive but aside from other features, the increased speed and better warranty should make-up for their increased cost and they also include the time-limited error recovery (TLER) feature which is included in the RED drives.

See this table to compare features: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7258/battle-of-the-4-tb-nas-drives-wd-red-and-seagate-nas-hdd-faceoff/2
See