PSU Recomendation

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 18, 2010 3:43:55 AM

Ok so I have a heavily upgraded (For its time) Dell e510. It came with a 305 watter which wouldn't power what i have in there now. Right now i have a 500 Watt. I want to take my 500 watter and stick it in my new build. But i will be left without a PSU that can handle what i have... :( 

My Old Rig:
Pentium D 945 3.4Ghz
3GB DDR2 (I think) RAM (4 DIMMS)
9600GT (Power Efficient model-OC'ed :lol: )
2 HDD's
2 Optical Drives

1.) Just curious how much power i need. I was looking at 350-400 watts, but most of those are so cheap that they destroy parts or they are 100 bucks for 400Watts... Just wondering if there is a good PSU for my old rig...

Prefer Newegg, and would like to stay around 30$ and less would be great.

3.) Also... Would a 500 Watt Coolmaster power two 5850's??? :lol:  Just thinking in the future... I was planning on spending money on a 700-800 Watter but i might hold off and use the 500 Watter on the new build till i upgrade to Crossfire and Sandybridge/Bulldozer...

More about : psu recomendation

November 18, 2010 5:23:47 AM

Hi Gid

1.) My recomendation for your first query is to try and find a thermaltake 420 Watt or 450 Watt PSU they are old models now but will fall just over your price bracket, aswell as they are extremly robust and reliable. I used to use a Thermaltake 420 Watt to run my AMD 4000+ 8800 GT with dedicated 6 pin rail supply as well as 1 optical drive and 3 HDD'S

2.) Your second question, just not justify a 500 watt is not ample enough to run 2 dedicated rail supplies on the 2 cards that plus your extras and your upgrading head room will not work, i would recommend a 700 or 720 Watt PSU. Gigabyte ODN 720 Watt.

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 5:44:09 AM

Hello gidgiddonihah, If you want to get an idea of how much power your PC will require you can use this tool: Antec Power Supply Calculator

And to get an idea on how much power a i7 system with a 5850 crossfire setup will require under heavy load, check out this article from Tom's: Power-Usage Benchmarks
m
l
November 18, 2010 3:29:53 PM

Found a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...... Im not sure i, going to want it though since it only has 2 Sata cables. Ill have to go home and see what i have hooked to what... :)  Ill post what i decide later today... (:lol:  but i might change me mind if i see something better that goes on a really good deal....)

(Edit) Its only 24 w/ rebates/Promo Code... :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 6:51:35 PM

1. How many watts did the Antec PSU Calc. say your PC will need with a 5850 Crossfire setup. I can say that you want to go with a 600w+ PSU for something like that, but not knowing what is exactally in your current PC I cannot know for sure.

2. The best PSU's to buy today and the only ones I would suggest you buy are: Seasonic, Corsair, and Antec. Almost anyone on this forum will tell you the same thing.

3. I think you made a mistake on your link, because it does not go to any particular PSU.

4. What is your budget?
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:26:00 PM

thechief73 said:

What is your budget?

Depends... For a OS/PSU/GPU/CPU/Wi Fi about 300-350. Im dropping the CPU and asking for it for christmas among the other parts such as the mobo/case/ram/HDD/ect.

I don't have anything built yet, its all going to be built on Christmas :) . Just getting the parts that are not on the list. I will have a:

Athlon II x3
4GB RAM
ATI 5850 (Or a GTX 460 depending on price)
500GB HDD
AM3 Mobo.... When i get home i can throw the part list up...

Then ill be upgrading to:

Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer
6GB RAM
ATI 5850 (Or a GTX depending on current price on Black Friday) In SLI/Crossfire - Depening on how much prices have fallen and if they are still in production...
500GB HDD

My plan was to take the 500 Watt Coolmax (I cant remember the Brand... i think it was a Coolermaster or a Coolmax) and stick it in the new build till i upgrade. When the 500 Watt is out of the OLD rig i would get a cheap one to power my OLD rig. Then when i upgrade ill sell one of the PSU's and stick the remaining one in the OLD rig and buy a new one for the NEW rig.

In Crossfire with the AMD Athlon II x3 OC'ed it was right around 500ish Watts.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 7:29:39 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
Depends... For a OS/PSU/GPU/CPU/Wi Fi about 300-350. Im dropping the CPU and asking for it for christmas among the other parts such as the mobo/case/ram/HDD/ect.

I don't have anything built yet, its all going to be built on Christmas :) . Just getting the parts that are not on the list. I will have a:

Athlon II x3
4GB RAM
ATI 5850 (Or a GTX 460 depending on price)
500GB HDD
AM3 Mobo.... When i get home i can throw the part list up...

Then ill be upgrading to:

Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer
6GB RAM
ATI 5850 (Or a GTX depending on current price on Black Friday) In SLI/Crossfire - Depening on how much prices have fallen and if they are still in production...
500GB HDD

My plan was to take the 500 Watt Coolmax (I cant remember the Brand... i think it was a Coolermaster or a Coolmax) and stick it in the new build till i upgrade. When the 500 Watt is out of the OLD rig i would get a cheap one to power my OLD rig. Then when i upgrade ill sell one of the PSU's and stick the remaining one in the OLD rig and buy a new one for the NEW rig.

In Crossfire with the AMD Athlon II x3 OC'ed it was right around 500ish Watts.

NO COOLMAX! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! :)  DONT USE COOLMAX JUNK!
m
l
November 18, 2010 8:37:20 PM

Yeppers its a coolmax... So im back to my original thought... I'm going to need something that has about 600-800 Watts thats 40$ or lower.... And thats not really conceivable :lol: ... So any sugestions??
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 8:49:38 PM

nope. i already made my suggestions. what did you tink of them
m
l
November 18, 2010 8:55:15 PM

I like em, but unfortuantly, i don't have the 75$... :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 12:34:17 AM

Quote:

Ok, I am sorry I miss-understood what you wanted to do, but I get you now. To temporarily power your old PC I would highly recommend going with this: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W - only $35 after MIR

Unless of course you going to get a new PSU to power you new PC and put your current one into the old PC then I would say go with the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W that shovenose suggested above. Or maybe one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

But as I understand it your budget is tight, so they may not be and option.
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:33:35 AM

mmm what about the XFX 650 Watter tied to this amazing deal?
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:35:07 AM

Its 650 Watts and with rebates its only 224$ (With the GPU)...

Edit: :lol:  It would be for me new rig :) .
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 1:43:35 AM

Umm.... No link to the deal? XFX are generally good PSU's as they should be manufactured by Seasonic which is the top of the PSU food chain. One thing about those combo deals check the individual price for both parts and compair it to the price of the deal, unfortunatly many times they are the same price. But sometimes you do end up with a nice disount.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 3:16:19 AM

Here are a few coupon codes for Newegg.com:

10% off select Video Cards using BTEZZZS32 coupon code (maximum $40 discount)

10% off any Power Supply using BTEZZZS23 coupon code (maximum $50 discount)

Expires: Nov. 21, 2010 or sooner

This probably will not work in conjunction with combo deals or other discounts either.
m
l
November 19, 2010 3:57:27 AM

The most it comes off is the 60$ in rebates...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 4:14:30 AM

Oh, I see now. Sorry for the mistake, I overlooked the rebates :(  Must be too late to think strait, time to call it a night.
m
l