Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SLOW/LOW benchmark on Samsung 128gb 830 SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2012 11:20:32 PM

Here are the benchmarks. I noticed it is lower then ive seen others and I noticed its pretty slow. Any help?

http://i.imgur.com/cyDwq.png

a b G Storage
December 3, 2012 11:22:03 PM

Is the drive plugged into the SATAII or SATAIII port?

How long has the SSD been used for?
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:23:04 PM

I bought it on ebay used. They said it was used a month. I am not sure. I am using a asus p7p55 lx Mobo
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 3, 2012 11:37:32 PM

An used SSD might be a problem, as the main concern in SSDs is the fact that they wear out fast.

Nonetheless Samsung is a excellent brand, even if it is not brand new.

The point is that we just don´t know what the SSD had been used for, so depend upon its past usability, it may represent an issue.

Another thing is that your motherboard has SATA 3Gb/s port, which mean that it is SATA II, while the SSD is SATA III (6Gb/s). So in benchmarks it will not performance like it is made for. Nevertheless you should notice an improvement from your HDD.

m
l
December 3, 2012 11:39:00 PM

jemm said:
An used SSD might be a problem, as the main concern in SSDs is the fact that they wear out fast.

Nonetheless Samsung is a excellent brand, even if it is not brand new.

The point is that we just don´t know what the SSD had been used for, so depend upon its past usability, it may represent an issue.

Another thing is that your motherboard has SATA 3Gb/s port, which mean that it is SATA II, while the SSD is SATA III (6Gb/s). So in benchmarks it will not performance like it is made for. Nevertheless you should notice an improvement from your HDD.

I defiantly see a huge difference from HDD. But so what I need is a mobo with a sata III port to get full performance??
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:55:23 PM

drugsnothugs said:
I defiantly see a huge difference from HDD. But so what I need is a mobo with a sata III port to get full performance??

Yes, you will need to replace the motherboard. And to get the most performance out of a SATA III SSD, is the best to plug in the SATA III port from the Intel Chipset.

There is another solution, if you have an available PCIE x1 slot on your motherboard, you can get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crest-Port-SATA-PCI-Express-SY-PE...

However, you would probably get like 300MB/s writes and reads for the SSD.
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:58:50 PM

Will do. Thanks a lot everyone!
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 4, 2012 7:45:55 AM

There is a difference in performance between SATA II and III, but it is not that big to justify buying a new motherboard.

It is not recommended by any means to get a new motherboard just for its SATA III feature, unless you feel that it is time to upgrade the platform -- if you get a new motherboard you likely need a new processor and memory ram too.

My motherboard has SATA II and III, but the controller in its SATA III is not native from Intel, it is from Marvel, so I use my SSD connected to the SATA II port, and not the III. It still better than the HDD.

So, no worry about benchmarks, just enjoy the gain in performance that SSD brings to your system.

December 10, 2012 10:56:24 PM

Best answer selected by drugsnothugs.
m
l
!