Buzzing sound coming from (what i believe) graphic card

Hi everyone,

Let me start by explaining the problem that's occuring here,
everytime a graphical processing application (a heavy one like games, ...) starts running, it starts making this annoying buzzing, humming sounds that won't stop until you stop the app.
Now i'm pretty sure it's the gfx card causing this noise 'cause when
I start my driver and test the 3D settings, the noise occurs till I stop the 3D settings.

Now this might be the cause of some interference between my mobo (with onboard soundcard) / psu / wireless card, but to be honest i have no frickin' clue of what really could be the problem.
Another weird thing is that if I wear headphones, i can actually hear the noise through my headphones and it coming out of my pc at the same time. Even when using a VoIP program, other people can hear this noise (and even louder than myself I believe) through their speakers, only when my mic is activated though.

This problem has been occuring for about almost a year now, but i never really tried anything because it didnt bother me that much (as my music is always on), but it can't go on like that forever right?

system specs:
ati 4890
AMD X4 955 3.2 ghz
Asus M4A79T Deluxe

now i dont think the rest of the specs really matter ...

I hope anyone can help, it would be really appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about buzzing sound coming what believe graphic card
  1. sw337 said:
    Hi everyone,

Let me start by explaining the problem that's occuring here,
    everytime a graphical processing application (a heavy one like games, ...) starts running, it starts making this annoying buzzing, humming sounds that won't stop until you stop the app.
    Now i'm pretty sure it's the gfx card causing this noise 'cause when
    I start my driver and test the 3D settings, the noise occurs till I stop the 3D settings.

Now this might be the cause of some interference between my mobo (with onboard soundcard) / psu / wireless card, but to be honest i have no frickin' clue of what really could be the problem.
    Another weird thing is that if I wear headphones, i can actually hear the noise through my headphones and it coming out of my pc at the same time. Even when using a VoIP program, other people can hear this noise (and even louder than myself I believe) through their speakers, only when my mic is activated though.

This problem has been occuring for about almost a year now, but i never really tried anything because it didnt bother me that much (as my music is always on), but it can't go on like that forever right?

system specs:
    ati 4890
    AMD X4 955 3.2 ghz
    Asus M4A79T Deluxe

now i dont think the rest of the specs really matter ...

I hope anyone can help, it would be really appreciated.

its completely normal. its kind of hard to explain what the sound is. its the frames being rendered. all Ati cards have it. do you have the latest Ati drivers? i know for at least the 5xxx series the latest drivers cut that noise down alot. not sure about the 4xxx though
  2. Its not the frames being rendered....

Its most likely coil whine

An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ&feature=related

I had this with a CM RPM700 PSU, I ended up replacing it with a Corsair HX850.
  3. PSU: OCZ ModXstream pro 700W 80+
    now I didnt think it would cause me much trouble :S?
    So you're actually saying there is no solution to this problem but to buy a new one?
  4. Sorry I don't know of a solution, you could try google.
  5. sw337 said:
    PSU: OCZ ModXstream pro 700W 80+
    now I didnt think it would cause me much trouble :S?
    So you're actually saying there is no solution to this problem but to buy a new one?

http://thepcreport.net/2010/06/ati-catalyst-10-6-driver-released/

notice in the list of things it fixes the "Mosquito noise removal"

unfortunately that fix seems to only work with 5000 series cards.
  6. Updating to the newest drivers didn't fix anything as I did that last week, I'm pretty sure the whine is comin' from my PSU though :(. Well I guess I'll just have to live with or buy me a new one...
  7. *sorry for DP

The strangest thing about this problem here is imo the fact that other people can hear this coil whine when using VoIP software, no solution or explanation for that either? (and the fact that I can hear it through my headphones)

thanks for all your replies btw
  8. Its an electrical issue with the card itself, coil whine as omgitzfatal says. Some people blame it on the capacitors. What ever the rights and wrongs of what it actually is its a new card or put up with it. I don't know if its cause for an RMA or not, i mean it is for you but the makers may not see it that way. Cant hurt to ask/try though can it.

Mactronix
  9. I had the same issue, but I resolved it. The buzz seemed to sync with mouse cursor movement and display changes within an application window. I did not have this issue upon the system build nor during my overclocking testing, it just started to occur about a week after the system build. The issue was resolved after reinstalling the sound drivers from ASUS's site for this board. Those drivers were installed originally but I'm guessing somehow the drivers either became corrupt during overclocking crashes or changed via another application / driver install, or got replaced by the windows default drivers. Issue has not returned since reinstalling the drivers from ASUS. I'm glad because I thought I'd have to send this board back to newegg before the 30 day mark hit and have to go through the entire physical system build again!!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics