Sign in with
Your question

Odd boot issues with KGPE-D16

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2011 1:49:39 AM

A few months ago, I built a workstation for my job, using a KGPE-D16 motherboard, starting with one processor. While I was setting up the OS, I had intermittent issues with USB connectivity, but assumed it was a problem with the case. However, after I tried to add extra graphics cards, I had terrible boot issues. While they were not terribly consistent, the usual symptoms were as follows:

*Board would not POST - no beep, no message, and the draw would stay flat somewhere between 60-80W
*Board would POST, reach the windows boot options (normal, safe, safe w/ networking), then the monitors would stop working and the draw would drop to 60-80W indefinitely.
*Board would POST, reach the windows login, but then stop working and sit drawing 60-80W

These issues usually occurred when I had 2+ cards installed, cycling between combinations of a GTS 460, 8600, and a GT 240, but it wasn't terribly stable with even just one.

I assumed the board was screwed, and ordered a replacement, as ASUS's technical support was incredibly and unexpectedly useless. The board worked fine for about 7 weeks (until today, in fact), when the same symptoms occurred. While it was running fine with all 3 cards installed before, it went to sleep while I was reading a technical reference, and then I found that the USB peripherals were unpowered and I couldn't wake it up. Attempting to reboot lead to the same sort of issues as before, and I have not been able to get past the login screen.

It is incredibly inconsistent with how far it gets into the boot process; sometimes it will POST, sometimes it will not, and very occasionally it will reach the login screen (just the once so far). I was too frustrated to boot to safe mode before leaving for the night as this happened right before I intended to leave, but I will be trying that later.

The symptoms make it seem like a mixture of motherboard issues and graphics driver problems, but the fact that the draw drops to a consistent 80W (in normal use, it tends to idle closer to 200W) makes me fairly certain this is just the motherboard being defective. Ideally, I hope someone with more technical knowledge regarding motherboard issues can verify my suspicions or point me in whatever direction is correct, and if it IS a motherboard issue, I would love if someone could tell me the best way to get into contact with ASUS about this as these issues are utterly unacceptable to happen twice in a row with a $400 allegedly server-grade motherboard.
July 15, 2011 11:30:58 PM

The issues have seemingly been resolved with a new PSU - I tested the current board and the one it replaced, and both were functioning fine with the new power supply. The old one began exhibiting clear issues while I was testing the other components, culminating in it not powering the CPU/CPU fan, and automatically supplying power when switched on instead of when the power button was pressed.

One of the three graphics cards (a GT 240) is no longer working, but I doubt that is related to the motherboard. Why the issues fixed themselves when I switched boards I've no idea, but it could have been related to reconnecting all the power adapters.
m
l
January 11, 2012 11:19:17 AM

Which is the first and second PSU you Bought, n WHy you replaced the PSU. its urgent..I have the Same problems here,

below is my spec
x AMD Opteron 6128 8-core Magny-Cours 2.0GHz Processor OS6128WKT8EGOWOF

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5690 SSI EEB 3.61

Kingston 4x2gb 1333 RAM toatl 8 gb

Antec Twelve Hundred ATX 12 Drive Bays 2xUSB 2.0 eSATA Audio Full Tower Case

Nvdia Quadro fx 600 video card

Antec 950 w power supply

Antec P193 Cabinet

2x 1 TB Seagate HD 7200 rpm
Thanks is advance...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 11, 2012 1:24:36 PM

I hate to tell you this, but that machine is now sitting around as a $2,000 scrap pile. Here's all the things I tried:

-swapped out PSU (corsair and antec)
-swapped out graphics cards
-swapped out motherboard for another KGPE-D16
-swapped out RAM (more of the same type, Kingston 2GB ECC DDR3)
-swapped out graphics cards again for 3 of the same model (Zotac GT430)
-replaced CPU, tried with only new CPU and then both (6128s)
-swapped out PSU again (another antec)

The only thing I never replaced is the case, but if I got another, I'd have enough to build two workstations now. If I was using an Antec 1200, I'd certainly have some suspicions, but I had a case from another brand whose name escapes me right now (a reputable brand). The best advice I can give you is to return the CPU/motherboard if you can and start over.

If you do find some miraculous solution (or start a class action lawsuit against ASUS, for that matter...), do let me know.
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:54:28 AM

DO you have the correct 8 pin Cpu connector with the power supply..or you are solving it by 4 to 8 pin adapters...becoz, not every PSU have 2x 8 pin cpu power connectors..for that i am solved it by adapters...cause to uneven power supply to the board..and it will some time stuck or stopped working...
m
l
January 18, 2012 11:06:48 PM

cadkiran said:
DO you have the correct 8 pin Cpu connector with the power supply..or you are solving it by 4 to 8 pin adapters...becoz, not every PSU have 2x 8 pin cpu power connectors..for that i am solved it by adapters...cause to uneven power supply to the board..and it will some time stuck or stopped working...

the PSUs i've used have a 20+4 pin and an 8 pin adapter, which I've supplemented with a 2 molex to 8 pin adapter. I've suspected that it could be the issue, but I've never seen this problem in other builds using the adapters, albeit with other boards.
m
l
January 19, 2012 5:09:12 AM

Yes , your Guss is right...Now i changed the psu , n using psu with 8 pin cpu power connector(4+4x2)..till now there is no reboot...I don't know abt the future. plz check the adapters thoroughly , whether there is any burning occurred.
If any slight burning shows the uneven power supply. may be the adapter wires damaged. If that is the problem, you will get 2 powerful workstations...Wish u the very best.

m
l
May 24, 2013 5:59:00 PM

solipsism said:
The issues have seemingly been resolved with a new PSU - I tested the current board and the one it replaced, and both were functioning fine with the new power supply. The old one began exhibiting clear issues while I was testing the other components, culminating in it not powering the CPU/CPU fan, and automatically supplying power when switched on instead of when the power button was pressed.

One of the three graphics cards (a GT 240) is no longer working, but I doubt that is related to the motherboard. Why the issues fixed themselves when I switched boards I've no idea, but it could have been related to reconnecting all the power adapters.

I am stuck with the same problem on a KGPE-D16 equiped with an ATI AGP and a Thermaltake 1000W PSU. I strongly recomend NOT to buy ASUS server MOBO. I got the Tyan equivalent and works nicely with the same hardware. VCP
m
l
!