First Build: Need Advice for ~1000-1250 Gamer Build

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I just started planning out a new computer. I've never build a computer before, but would like to try. My main focus is on reliability and value first and then performance second. Since I am new to this, I do not really plan on overclocking unless it is extremely beneficial and not really risky. I have selected most of the parts (listed below), but I am not extremely set on any part. Any feedback and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Plan to build mid September 2010

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-1250 after rebates and taxes (can exceed a little)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts:

CPU: Intel i7 930

MOBO: Asus px58d-e ~230 from amazon

Wouldn't mind downgrading to a cheaper Mobo with less functionality as long as it is reliable. Can't see myself using the usb 3.0 anytime soon.

Ram: OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz ~ 110

Is OCZ a quality memory company? Would I be better off buying memory from other companies such as Corsair or Crucial? I was mostly looking for the best deal on memory.

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus ~30

Wasn't sure on this, but just tried to find a budget cooler that had value.

HDD: Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD6402AAEX ~ 70

PSU & Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion and Antec EA750 Combo ~ 150

I think the 750W is excessive, but I figured it was a better deal than the 650W.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ~230

DVD: Had no idea, any recommendations for budget drives for value?

I also still have to buy the monitor and keyboard and so any recommendations again for budget and value would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
If you're going for value then stay away for 1366. OCZ ram has gotten pretty bad as of late, something to avoid.

IMO:

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
If you're going for value then stay away for 1366. OCZ ram has gotten pretty bad as of late, something to avoid.

IMO:

Solution

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

I live fairly close to a microcenter and so I was planning on getting the i7 930 for around 220 after taxes. I figured that was a pretty good deal since they are going for about 290 and then I also figured that getting the 1366 would keep the computer a little future-proof. You think I can get a cheaper mobo such as the p6T or I did see one from EVGA also? And I'll look into finding some other RAM from your recommendation.