blazers55

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hello,

I am very sorry if this question has already been answered (which im sure it has) somewhere. I have been researching the triple monitor set up on my newly built computer. Also, i am by no means computer savvy. I know basic stuff including building a computer and what parts do what. I am not familar whatsoever with multi display set ups.

First off. Here is my set up

Monitor (main) - 27 inch LG (1920X1080)
Monitor (2) - 23 inch samsung LED (1920X1080)
Monitor (3)42 inch Sharp Aquos (2008 model, not sure about resolution, it is 1080p though)

My video card is the Asus Radeon HD5870 matrix. It has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 Display port

I have read that the DP adaptor need to be "active". Would any on this list i found in another post be usable? If anyone has had a good experience with any particular brand could you please suggest?

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Now i would like to have my TV as a third display for times that i want to watch stuff with friends. Otherwise i just play games and dont really need the third display. Before i go out and blow 100 bucks on this adaptor i want to make sure my set up will run properly.

Question 1: If i include my actual LCD tv in this set up will all displays default to the lowest resolution monitor, which im sure in this case would be the TV? If this is the case i wont even bother with the 3 monitor set up until i get another actual monitor. I definitely dont want my other monitor resolutions to suffer

Question 2: Should the display port be connected to the main monitor? If so should i connect via hdmi or dvi through the active adaptor?

Question 3: i was hoping to transfer sound to my TV as well since my 1/8 inch inputs are being used to speakers. Could i go HDMI to my TV, DVI to one monitor, DVI to my other monitor through the display port adaptor? If there is an optimal way to set this up please suggest! Keep in mind that both of my monitors have HDMI and DVI, the TV only has VGA and HDMI and none of the 3 have display port.

Question 4: I have heard that set ups such of these have lag and poor signal at times... including monitors shutting down while gaming. Is there a work around for this? Or is it just something that you need to put up with when using the eyefinity?

Question 5: This question is probably ultra stupid so i apologize in advance. When people speak of the eyefinity they are talking about three separate displays correct? Not 1 display duplicated or 3 displays forming one picture?

Like i said above, i want the 3 display set up with one of them being my TV but i do not want to lose any sort of quality in my other displays. I am hoping that i can get this going and will only use the third monitor maybe <10% of the time. Should i technically be able to have all 3 running together at each's max resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well, your cheapest solution would be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003

Connect the TV using HDMI for Audio, then one of the monitors with DVI, finally use that and connect the last one with VGA.

Eyefinity doesnt produce lag and poor signal at times AFAIK, so dont worry about that.

FInally, Eyefinity is simply the ability to connect 3 monitors on one card, via software you could configure them as either duplicated, extended or as a huge display.

Timop

Distinguished
Well, your cheapest solution would be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003

Connect the TV using HDMI for Audio, then one of the monitors with DVI, finally use that and connect the last one with VGA.

Eyefinity doesnt produce lag and poor signal at times AFAIK, so dont worry about that.

FInally, Eyefinity is simply the ability to connect 3 monitors on one card, via software you could configure them as either duplicated, extended or as a huge display.

Solution

blazers55

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Okay great information. My one concern is using the VGA connection. I believe it is analog.. does that diminish the quality of display at all? Obviously this same set up would work via DP to DVI as well right?

Any thoughts on all monitors defaulting to the resolution of the weakest res monitor - in this case the TV?

Or is this all in my imagination?

Thanks!

Timop

Distinguished
[strike]
VGA is analog and TECHNICALLY it should have some differences in quality, but in my experience with both VGA and DVI cords connected to the same monitor, the difference is barely noticeable is present at all.
[/strike]
Scratch that, I forgot VGA only officially supports to 1600*1200, my bad. Theres community reports it works fine for 1080P though, $20 isnt a big investment, so you could try it out. But the safest choice is a[strike] m[/strike]DP->DVI adapter, sorry.

And no, Eyefinity would not scale to the worst display, that is only the case if you want to set up a single large display with all 3 monitors, in extended mode, they would simply run at their native resolutions.

Besides, your TV is 1080P anyways, so you wont have any problems what-so-ever.

blazers55

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Awesome you have been super helpful!

Just one last thing. You say mDP -> DVI is the safest choice. Is that mini display port? I dont have that input on my vid card. Is normal DP -> DVI using an active adaptor my best option at this point still? I can justify the 100 dollars since i already spent 600 on the stupid card that didnt come with the adaptor.

Timop

Distinguished

Sorry, the mDP was a typo because I was looking at Mini-display port adapters for something else. Disregard that, an active Dp->DVI adapter is the one that you need/ ;)

blazers55

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Awesome!

Okay i lied one more question. My local computer store and their online store has none of these adaptors... well not the active ones at least.

I have read various reviews on a few saying that they overheat or they dont work... this and that..

Would you be able to recommend a supplier/make/model of a DP -> DVI adaptor?

If not thats cool, you have been a huge help!

Timop

Distinguished

TRENDING THREADS