spik31

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hi all My situation is black ops just came out and ive recently bought the Nvidia GTX460 as it was best suited in price and performance. I'm just wondering if I'm only getting 60 fps on it i was expecting it to be at 100 around about. Also to further the argument when i play cod 4 i get 60 fps constant on high for all settings and for competitive gaming i have it set to 250fps the only problem is it drops while I'm playing. I believe this to be my CPU as its been out for at least a year now. my friend recommended that I switch to AMD but im debating the fact that the AMD slots are different as mine is an LGA755 for intel and im wondering if my cpu needs to be upgraded so does my mobo :/

wow i need help... :D

Here are my specs:

Manufacturer:
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory:
4096MB RAM
Hard Drive:
1 TB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Monitor:
Samsung Sync Master P2270HD x2
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.090722-1835)
Motherboard:
Msi P7NSLI

Hello and welcome to the forums
Many people are experiencing low FPS/Performance bugs with black ops,so wait for new patches/drivers and then decided whether to upgrade or not.because your current system is fine for gaming.

spik31

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
AH ok i understand so the cpu is slightly underpowered to push the gfx card to the max but so is the ram and a bios update would benifit me by having the faster speed on the ram :( i dislike bios updates... :L ok so would overcloking and buying a new heatsink be better?

Step 1: open task manager.
step 2: game
step 3: minimize the game
step 4: check out your CPU usage history. If it looks really high or 100%, your CPU is holding you back. If not, perhaps there are issues with black ops or a lack of GPU power.

Black Ops can use 3-4 cores. I have not yet tested to see if it can use all 4 cores but it is more than two since my CPU usage gaming is over 50% with my quad.

Also, I have heard similar things to what Maziar has said.

Also, tell us your settings. We might be able to tell you what we expect your framerate to be with your video card at the settings you give us if you were not CPU limited.

I know I have an Athlon IIx4 3.2GHz with a radeon 4850 and I have to lower a lot of settings to keep above 50FPS constant at 1920x1080. I have AA turned off, textures to high, AF turned off and a couple other things turned off.