gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
so i decided to postpone my build until sandy bridge comes out, now my question is what do you think will perform better an overclocked i5 2500k say to 4.2ghz or an i7 2600? now i heard the i5 2500k has 4 cores, 4 threads and 6mb L3 cache, and the i7 has 4 cores 8 threads and 8mb l3 cache but you can OC it. I have a few questions

1.now the overclockable k series,is the warranty void like any other CPU if you overclock it?

2.and i think i can afford the i5 2500k and the i7 2600 at its predicted price, what do you think would be better, im looking at a build with an hd 6950 or a gtx 570 (when they come out)

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

I am also looking at these 2 chips.....the key will of course be how much more expensive the 2600(k) is vs 2500(k). I hope the premium is only $100-150 max. If its like $200 vs $500 then it makes it harder for me to pay up to get hyperthreading, which is the only difference between the 2500 and 2600.

I have no clue what you are talking about or where you get your information, but you obviously have not been keeping up with Bulldozer plans etc.

This is false.

AMD's new processor architecture includes sharing more between each core. The cores will basically be in pairs and each pair will share more than a core from a current processor. This will allow a smaller die size allowing for a lot more to be implemented with little impact on performance.

From what I have read, two cores in full use will have 180% throughput vs the 100% of one core. However, if the two cores are not part of the same "pair" then the throughput will be closer to 200%, like a normal processor.

There is no such thing as "two strong thread technology" and this is not related to hyperthreading.

Perhaps you are confused with the FP unit and how that works. It is shared between two cores.

The above information is of course for the server processor. However, since it all seems to be a fixed part of the architecture, I expect no changes in the desktop variant.

exhail

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
so you think the i5 would be a better choice for gaming? has their been any information on the platforms, i heard the two platforms are lga 1155 and lga 1365 is that true? and what would the benefits of a lga 1365 socket be? thanks

From the Anandtech preview:

24411.png

24412.png

24413.png

24414.png

This was an engineering sample of the i5-2400 with hyperthreading enabled, but no working turbo, only 6 MB of L3 cache, base frequency of 3.1 GHz. As you can see, it kept up with the premiere i7-980X in a couple of games incl. Dragon Age which likes fast CPUs.

Personally for gaming I'd get the 2600K if the price is not ridiculously high. The hyperthreading would be useful for encoding or whatever when you might need it (or for future multithreaded games), but the larger L3 cache (8 MB) and higher base clock, plus the unlocked multi, should make this the gamer's choice when it comes out. Of course, the desktop version of Bulldozer will be out in Q2, and might prove a worthy competitor. Will have to wait for the benchies.

Also according to Intel's roadmap, there will be performance and extreme versions of Sandy Bridge available next year, Q2 - Q3 timeframe. IIRC this includes the LGA 1365 and 2011 sockets. My understanding is that these will not include the onboard GPU, but have more cores (up to 10 from what I've read). So you might be able to buy a 10-core, 20-thread beast this time next year, if you take out a small mortgage :p..