Sign in with
Your question

3rd Screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2010 5:52:37 PM

Hi, I've just bought a third monitor - two widescreen and one smaller one. I've only got two outputs on my geforce 8800gt obviously and I don't really want to sell/throw away my small one as it still works!

How easy is it to get a second graphics card working simultaneously with another one? do they have to be the same make? if so i'm a bit screwed as i dont think you can by 8000 series geforce cards anymore! would I need to do the sli thing? I know my motherboard is capable of doing that as that was one of the criteria when i bought it. I thought sli was when you wanted to get them communicating with each other for graphics rendering and stuff, whereas i just want it for windows use.

I'm using windows 7 x64, 8gb ram, asus p5q deluxe mobo, intel quad q6600 @2.8ghz think thats all the relevant info

Any ideas would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

More about : 3rd screen

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 5:56:42 PM

You could always buy it used. Anyway, do you game? If not, you could get a cheap Radeon 5450 card that has eyefinity and sell the 8800gt... Or just get a decent card like a 5770 that would even be a performance boost for only like $140 or so.
July 25, 2010 6:07:16 PM

I do game and my 'master plan' was to eventually get a gtx 260/80 and do the physics delegation thing when i've eventually got enough money (plus i've heard that its a bitch to get working) but at the moment i'm just looking for a cheap way to get my third screen working in windows. just looked at that eyefinity thing - apparently all the 5000 series cards have the capability and most of them seem to have three outputs? would they be able to all work simultaneously or would i still have to get a second card?
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 6:08:17 PM

jryan388 said:
You could always buy it used. Anyway, do you game? If not, you could get a cheap Radeon 5450 card that has eyefinity and sell the 8800gt... Or just get a decent card like a 5770 that would even be a performance boost for only like $140 or so.

Or for even less cash just pop a GT220 or GT240 in the second slot as they don't have to be in SLi to run multiple monitors, no need to remove card, sell card or buy an ATi card. :kaola: 
July 25, 2010 6:35:09 PM

Incidentally what exactly are the benefits of SLI anyway?
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 6:37:19 PM

DJ-Specter said:

Well obviously better gaming performance.

With 2 card, the third monitor is just running on the GT220.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 6:39:03 PM

DJ-Specter said:

In a game title that can use dual cards it usually results in a higher minimum framerate and higher average and maximum as well together with the ability to run a bit more AA and AF.
!