What is going on with my pc?

ShockHawk

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
So this all started about 3 days ago. I was watching a video on youtube when my screen froze and green lines appeared all around my screen. I shut down the pc and when I started it back up, there were white dots all over the HP blue load-up screen and the screen where Vista is loading but once it boots up, they're gone but the resolution has changed. When I go to change the resolution, my resolution of 1680 x 1050 isn't there. When I went to the device manager, it shows an exclamation point next to my Nvidia 9800 GT with the message of "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I've tried everything to fix it. I'll to a restore but the pc continues to crash about every 6 hours and reset the resolution. I updated the 9800 GT but it still crashes. What is going on and how do I fix it?

Helltech

Distinguished

Use Driver Sweeper to delete and uninstall all Nvidia and ATI drivers (if you had any), then try using the newest Nvidia driver for that card. If that doesn't work use Driver Sweeper again and try the latests beta driver.

If those don't work its time to see if the card is dieing.

Try taking out the graphics card and (if you have it) use the onboard graphics and see if you still have problems. If you do not have onboard motherboard graphcis use another graphics card. If the problem doesn NOT persist at that point it sounds like a problem with the card, or your PCI-e slot.

At that point try using the graphics card in another computer, if problem persists the graphics card is bad.

ShockHawk

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
No, I don't think it's still under warranty. To reinstall it, is there any chance of me not being able to install it after the uninstall? Do I just uninstall it and then use Nvidia's website to download it again? Sorry I don't know much about pcs.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yes, go ahead and download it before you uninstall to save you the hassle of having to download it without a driver.

That way you can restart after you have uninstalled and install right away.