Sign in with
Your question

Fastest stock CPU for everyday tasks?

Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2010 1:49:12 PM

I'm looking for the fastest STOCK processor for everyday tasks in the $150 range (new, no overclocking). It will only be used for things like word processing, internet/email access, viewing pictures and video, etc. No gaming and very little multi-tasking. Not for me, though, so I need it as fast as possible without overclocking. Other hardware in the setup will be built around matching it performance-wise. Thanks for the help.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 1:57:11 PM

Where do you plan on buying it? Because that will have a large impact on what things costs and ultimately what chip you can get for 150.00.
m
l
a c 215 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 2:01:16 PM

For those tasks you wouldnt notice a difference between an Athlon II x2 240 and an i7 870 so why would you spend the extra money when it wont show any results? Basic level tasks like that rely more on the speed of the hard drive and memory for good results. I would get an Athlon X3 445, its only $74 so that frees up a fair amount of the budget for other components that will show their effects a bit more, like a nice fast 1TB HDD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2010 2:04:03 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Where do you plan on buying it? Because that will have a large impact on what things costs and ultimately what chip you can get for 150.00.

I'll order online from the USA. Any place like TigerDirect, NewEgg, etc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 2:14:14 PM

hunter315 said:
For those tasks you wouldnt notice a difference between an Athlon II x2 240 and an i7 870 so why would you spend the extra money when it wont show any results? Basic level tasks like that rely more on the speed of the hard drive and memory for good results. I would get an Athlon X3 445, its only $74 so that frees up a fair amount of the budget for other components that will show their effects a bit more, like a nice fast 1TB HDD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I agree, a fast hard drive, maybe even a 30 or 40gb SSD will give you the best performance boost. Any Current chip from Intel or AMD clocked to or beyond 3.0ghz will be plenty for what your talking about doing, and will most certainly benefit from the fastest hard drive/SSD you can afford.
m
l
November 18, 2010 2:31:32 PM

How long does it have to last?
m
l
November 18, 2010 3:10:49 PM

Plumble said:
How long does it have to last?

This person will never be using it for any more than these tasks I mentioned so I'm hoping to build them a computer that will last for quite a while. As long as it can handle these tasks without blinking for the long term, there will be no reason to upgrade or replace down the road.

Hmm, if I could find a reasonably priced and reliable SSD, it would make sense to have them run one for the everyday task speed and then just have them backup pictures/videos to an external. Damn SSD's are still so expensive, though. They'd need a 60GB MINIMUM, but that's iffy on the size and when you get bigger than that, they get really pricey.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 3:31:25 PM

You can go with a 30 40gb SSd for all your apps, then a cheapish internal hard drive for backup/storage. The only hitch to using an SSd is you need an OS that supports the Trim function, and I believe that's a windows 7 exclusive feature.
m
l
!