Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Play HD videos without lag and more efficiently.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2010 9:34:15 PM

Typically when we try to play a HD (high definition) video we face a lag. It could be in any form-one could be where the frames are being dropped, two where the audio is lagging and there is no sync with the video, three the video is pausing a lot. Now many a times one is agitated with his slow computer, criticizing his graphics card or even processor. But mind well i have read posts where people with high end graphics and even with high ram face lag when playing HD vids.
The problem is many a times not with the hardware but with CHOOSING the right codecs.I have also read people saying to use vlc which is what they term as a "lite" player or even using k-lite codec package to play mp4 and mkv formats. As convincing it may sound it may not always work esp in an old computer. What you will read further will instruct you on how to have the right codec for the right video format and will help you to play HD videos without lags and more efficiently (even better than k-lite or cccp). This article is typically for mp4 and mkv video formats(and lets be frank HD videos are best in only these formats). Following are steps which are to be followed to have the perfect codec available for the right video format.
Step1: Uninstall any codec installed in the past K-lite or cccp or any other (you can keep or not keep vlc it wont matter at all)
Step2:D ownload media player classic (i use this coz this player will associate itself with the codecs i will tell further to install) This is the link to download it http://www.free-codecs.com/downloa [...] lassic.htm
Step 3: Open media player classic click on view....then options....when a new window will open there will be a option called playback on your left and beneath it will be "output".....click on it and under direct show video click on overlay mixer and then click apply and ok....
Step 4ownload divx codec pack (you have to use this its the best,even better than ffdshow which k-lite codec uses) Now this codec is very good for mp4 files. Here is the link http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack
Step 5:When installing divx codec package only install the codec pack and NOTHING else (there will be options to tick what to install also i say this coz divx player is a "heavy" player to use)
Step 6: Download haali media splitter (this is very good for mkv files) here is the link http://www.free-codecs.com/Haali_M [...] wnload.htm
Step 7: While installing there will be options like do you want to associate this codec with mp4 files (it will be ticked by default) and you need to untick it. This is a very very important step to do. after unticking you can install it.
Step 8:You are almost done. Now to play videos you need to open that media classic player and drag mp4 or mkv files onto it (double clicking or associating files wont help).
Step9: This is an important step. before dragging the file to media player classic you need to open task manager and click on process (when the media player classic is open in the background) Then search for mpplayer and right click it and set the priority to realtime also make sure you dant have heavy processing going on behind on other applications.
Step 10: Now safely drag the file onto the player and enjoy the best decoding of videos. Happy HD viewing

I do not recommend your using k-lite coz it uses haali encoder to play mp4 files which is the worst to play mp4 files but the best for mkv files. But even if you do not use haali in k-lite it will use ffdshow which is also not very good and gives poor picture color.
THE ABOVE RECOMMENDATION IS MAINLY FOR PEOPLE HAVING OLD COMPUTERS WHILE A PERSON WITH A FAST COMPUTER CAN USE ANY ENCODER FOR ANY FILE AND PLAY IT SMOOTH.
I have a 100 mb graphics card, 256 mb ram, 2.8 ghz intel processor and 1080p cids play smooth.
One quick recommendation before i end is to clean your heat sink on your processor coz HD vids fall very heavy on processors and it can heat up a lot.
July 25, 2010 10:16:39 PM

HD 4650 is enough for HD 1080P videos and its cheap. Sorry but I didnt read all of your post. Cos I dont get the point of posting a post like that... No one is going to read it anyway mate.... keep it short. So anyways you basically have an old obsolete PC with 100mb GPU. If you have a PCI slot on your mobo and a 250W or higher PSU go for the HD 4650 or HD 4550.
Score
July 25, 2010 11:39:40 PM

oh no i actually can play HD vids well i was just sharing on how to use proper codecs to play them well for people with old comps...my bad i guess i posted in the wrong place... :p 
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 4:57:50 AM

Searching on google about playing HD (mostly 720p) H264 files in old computers I came up here. I followed your guide, it plays more fluently, but still it gets out of sync. :sarcastic: 
I have a P4 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR and a GeForce5200 128MB AGP.
Maybe is just plain old.
I've heard about Core AVC Codec to be light on crappy computers, but I haven't read too much about it.
Thanks anyway for the effort.
Bye.
Score
August 20, 2010 9:03:01 AM

yup tuxcayc actually you can use avc core codec it is more fluent only this time after installing avc you can configure it..in the configuration there is an option of deblocking...select skip always...then there is deinterlacing...selct turn off always...also deselect agressive deinterlacing and crop 1088to 1080....after this is done restart media player classic and drag the video file lagging to play on it...it may be smoother...also you might want to consider having the lastest graphics drivers and also try playing the same file on your onboard graphics...these sthings hould definitely play atleast 720p vids without lack of quality..but make sure you use media player classic with the video overlay option on...let me know of any improvements if any...
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 2:50:10 PM

w_angad said:
yup tuxcayc actually you can use avc core codec it is more fluent only this time after installing avc you can configure it..in the configuration there is an option of deblocking...select skip always...then there is deinterlacing...selct turn off always...also deselect agressive deinterlacing and crop 1088to 1080....after this is done restart media player classic and drag the video file lagging to play on it...it may be smoother...also you might want to consider having the lastest graphics drivers and also try playing the same file on your onboard graphics...these sthings hould definitely play atleast 720p vids without lack of quality..but make sure you use media player classic with the video overlay option on...let me know of any improvements if any...

The Divx codec pack also has a configuration app, it has those options of deblocking and deinterlacing, I'll try deactivating them there first, then I'll try with AVC core.
Thanks!
Score
!