Power consumption of the 460

Solution
The GTX 460 uses 21W idle and 163W full load from a 90% efficient power source. So, its actual power consumption is around 19W idel and 147W full load.

You'll see an article later this week that lets you confirm that using simple math.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

If that is for the full system, an i7 CPU, a high end motherboard, a higher end mid range video card and it only pulls 268w, why even make a 1000w PSU?

Helltech

Distinguished

Becuase 4 GTX 480s take 1600W at full load.

People do need those large PSUs, just not people with a single mid range graphics card.

Well, you need to keep in mind that in Furmark the GPU is stressed but the CPU isn't. When actually gaming both will be stressed and the overall power usage will be significantly higher. You can also overclock cards which can significantly increase power consumption. Then, as I mentioned earlier, you can also run more than one video card at once(SLI/crossfire), up to four cards at a time in fact. Finally there are cards which use much more power like the GTX 480 which I mentioned. When overclocked a single GTX 480 maxes out around 400w on its own.

It is the motherboard, ram and hard drives that hardly use any power. The CPU and video card(s) will be the main power draws in a system. The GTX 460 maxes out at about 150w at stock setting. When fully OCed probably around 200w.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The GTX 460 uses 21W idle and 163W full load from a 90% efficient power source. So, its actual power consumption is around 19W idel and 147W full load.

You'll see an article later this week that lets you confirm that using simple math.

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No. In a couple weeks I'm going to prove that 4 GTX 480's, plus an overclocked 980X, pulls around 1000W at full GPU load.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tagan...what are those, 70% efficient? 1440x0.7=1008W. Of course he's running the CPU faster than I would, at 4.4 GHz, and overclocking the video cards too, and running more fans, etc etc. all accounting for "at least 8W". I also see that he's only tracking peak power consumption (instantaneous load), not maximum continuous load.

Helltech

Distinguished

That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.

Looking forward to that full analysis you're working on in the next few weeks. :D

Also according to Tangan that PSU is 80 percent efficient.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814011