Need a dual core for a socket 939 system

skinz187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
hello all,

im trying to help a friend find a decent priced dual core for a socket 939 motherboard.

it can be used if i need to go that route.

any advice from anyone?

loneninja

Distinguished
Used is your only option at this point, that sockets been dead now for like 5 years.

The processors are also terribly slow even compared to a new $50-$60 Athlon II, I wouldn't advise spending much on it. You can get a decent socket AM3 dual core, AM3 motherboard, and 4Gb of ram for under $200 easily. Possibly even for $150 if you can find some good combo deals.

I've got a couple NiB Optys left -- probably a 165 and a 170.

Bought them when the price cratered below $100 as upgrades for customers systems -- seeing as how they ignored all my newsletter emails about EoL.

I think I snagged one of the copper heat-pipe HSFs from one of them - LOL - those babies were (are) nice - especially if you put a 4-pin fan on 'em.

It's too late to get my money back out of them -- I'll probably do a video of a suicide run and see if I can make them blow up :)

Opteron 165 / 170 / 180

Athlon x2 4200 / 4400 / 4600

eBay, are you in the uk / us ?

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
some 939's dont support any dualcore processors..
I just upgraded a workstation and it required a bios update.. and it still hosed windows.. and I had to reinstall the original processor to install windows... It magically works now .. kinda wierd.

What is the exact motherboard and revision you have and check the cpu compatibilty listing.