PC wont start - is it the power supply?

oxygene13

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi

I've come home today and switched on the PC I've built a few months ago only for the machine to whir for a few short seconds and then die. It repeats this until I disconnect the power lead. Nothing is output to the screen and this cut out happens very quickly after switching it on.

What could this be and how could it be fixed? Is it the power supply? I'm in despair :-( My spec is below, everything is new and was bought and assembled within the last 6months, system has been fantastic until now.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

ben

Power Supply: 620W CoolerMaster Real Power M620 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz @ 4.00GHz RAM: 6GB DDR3 OS Windows 7 64bit

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
hi,
unfortunately, in my experience if a component is gonna go it usually does in the first 6 months or so. I would first of all try to hear the BIOS beeps, in your mobo handbook it will tell you what they mean. Unless you have changed any hardware just before it went, it could be anything ...but I do NOT think its your power supply, because if the fans spin at all then it is almost certainly working ...
your best bet is to disconnect everything and take the ram out ....if it spins up , it may be the cpu (yes it does happen) ...
let us know how you resolve it

I had exactly the same symtoms once but I had just changed the cpu and the bios wasn't up to date.

Obviously yours has been working and as pete3867 says it could be any of the components.

Try unplugging everything from the board that isn't needed to boot and just leave 1 stick of ram in.

Reset your bios including removing the battery for 15 mins plus.

If it then fires up ok start plugging your components back onto the board 1 by 1 to see if one of them sets off the fault again.

I would even try removing the cpu, draining the system of power and reinstalling, its all worth a try.

Good luck.

oxygene13

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi,

Here's the latest - A replacement, and better model PSU arrived today. I've plugged it into the system and I'm having the same problem. Luckily the retailer just swapped PSUs for me with little testing.

I've tried now taking the motherboard out of the case with no HDDs or extras plugged into it, I just have the CPU, CPU cooler, RAM and PSU and I'm having the same problem. I'm going a bit spare now lol

I bought the motherboard, RAMM and CPU from Overclockers as an overclocked bundle. I think I'm going to bring this up with them now.

any useful pointers very welcome.

thanks for your help so far

ben