No output to display using ATI HD 4550 card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tae04gu

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hello, I am having trouble with installing a graphics card on my HP Pavilion a6157c. I am trying to install the PCI-E x16 Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550.

My problem is that when I install the card in the computer and connect the cables to it, the monitor will not display anything from the computer, not even the boot-up screen (the screen where you can press F1, etc. to access Setup). It is only when I remove the card and use the onboard graphics that the monitor will display something from the computer. I have also tried disabling the integrated graphics (“Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family”) through Device Manager, although I was unsuccessful with that also.

I unsuccessfully tried to disable the on-board graphics. I went to the BIOS and found the settings for switching the video adapter, and found that there were two options: "Onboard" and "PCI". I found that it was already set to “PCI”, and restarted my computer. However, the monitor light remains on standby once I turn on the PC. Interestingly, I cannot hear the Windows start-up sounds with the card in, meaning that the computer may not even be starting up with the card.

As stated, the only way that I can output video to the monitor is if I remove the card and use the onboard graphics. I have searched everywhere on the internet for a situation, but am really frustrated not to find any workable solution. I got this card yesterday, and would not want to have to return it back.

My specifications:
Monitor: HPw2207 22" Widescreen Monitor
PSU: Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4400 Processor at 2.00 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5LP-LE (HP Name: Leonite2-GL8E)
Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
320 GB Hard drive
RAM: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600
Onboard graphics: Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video card that I am trying to install: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550, with passive cooling and VGA/DVI/HDMI output, uses PCI-E x16

What should I look for or do so that I can get this card to work with my computer and output video to my monitor? Any help, especially from those with similar experiences as mine, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Since this is the only PC where it has PCI-E inputs, I cannot use this card with another computer to check if this card may be defective or the problem is with my computer's settings.

tae04gu

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Yes, I have tried booting from the card with the BIOS setting to "onboard" instead of "PCI", but my monitor still does not display anything.
I was wondering if my PSU was not powering the card enough, even though I feel that my PSU is sufficient enough, at 430W, to power everything in my computer well. Could that be one of the problems with my video card, that it's not getting enough power?

lee-turbo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
i have a MB similar to u, D915gev, it also got on board graphics, no need to change to bios setting, coz it will work either way, the problems that i have is, i installed a 5750 on it, it can run.
Due to the PCI x16 2.1 card plug into PCIx16 1.0 slot, although is backward compatible, but it cant give enough bandwidth.
i am not really sure what is ur problems, but u got to check the card is running well or not, plug it into ur friend com, and try it out. make sure the card is not faulty.
otherwise is driver problems, for win xp, u got to inistall the driver first then u can boot up with the graphics, but in ur case(win7), i dun think u got to do that, but u can give it a try.
Use on board graphics first then install the driver, after that then shut down, plug in the cards and ttry to boot up again.
or ur MB cant give enough power for ur card, neer ur PCI slot there is another female molex, try to plug in power supply, it supply 75w more for graphics.
Hope can slove ur problems soon.
Anyway i run 4870 and 9800gtx+ on my board too, so i dun think the 4000series card wil give u problems unless it is faulty. :)

pacmanjones

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I'm having the same problems with this. I have a XFX ATI Radeon 5750 with the same motherboard as this guy. I also have

Corsair GS800 power supply
3GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8/2.8Gz
pretty sure my PCI-E slot is just a x16 (but they are backwards compatible right?)

I am so frustrated trying to get this card installed I really don't know what to do. I have tried all of the ways above and it still will not boot. Any help will be greatly appreciated. otherwise i'll have to go out and buy a new motherboard and processor just to boot this damn card.

jamesb007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Dear All:
I am having the same problem here with the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550. Details:
Computer: Lenovo desktop J115
CPU: AMD Athalon 64 3800+
Memory: 2GB in 2 DIMMS
On board graphics: Nvidea 6600GT (Works fine)
PSU: 250W, 12A

There is no display from the card what so ever. If I switch to onboard VGA with or w/o the card in, the display works fine. I also notice that the card gets warm, other than that there is no response.

Initially windows kept saying no suitable drive found for hardware. After I forced it to install the driver for the Radeon 4550 VC, it said the driver is not compatible and device cannot work. After I uninstalled the driver the hardware completely dissappeard from the device manager list.

I will Return it if I cant resolve this in a weeks time. Any help is much appreciated.

lee-turbo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
i think is ur nvidia driver cause the problems,/
boot up with onboard vga, then uninstall the driver, or use swipper which can find online or 3dguru.
make sure nvidia driiver clear.
use CPU-Z to check, if u cant see nvidia card information should be ok.
then try with ati one.
from nvidia change to ati got more problems
but ati to nvidia not much issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.