Can't update Windows

Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to the
Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to install. But
tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install. The only message
I'm given is that the updates "failed."

Any suggestions?

Karla
6 answers Last reply
More about update windows

    In fact, viewing my update history I find that these updates have failed
    everyday since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 -- a period of over 25 days!

    Karla
    "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to
    > the Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to install.
    > But tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install. The only
    > message I'm given is that the updates "failed."
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Karla

    Which updates are they?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > In fact, viewing my update history I find that these updates have failed
    > everyday since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 -- a period of over 25 days!
    >
    > Karla
    > "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >> Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to
    >> the Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to
    >> install. But tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install. The
    >> only message I'm given is that the updates "failed."
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Karla

    Short answer is I'm not sure, as MS has recently changed its download page
    and no longer can I find how to see what my download history has been.

    But I think it has been all downloads since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 a
    few weeks ago.

    That being said, I just now tried to load a download, the only one I found
    for XP and it seemed to download OK.

    How do I find my download history now?

    Karla
    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Which updates are they?
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >> In fact, viewing my update history I find that these updates have failed
    >> everyday since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 -- a period of over 25 days!
    >>
    >> Karla
    >> "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >>> Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to
    >>> the Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to
    >>> install. But tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install.
    >>> The only message I'm given is that the updates "failed."
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Karla

    Ignore previous reply. I found the page that shows my update history.

    The answer to your question is ALL updates since I upgraded to Service Pack
    2 on May 27. As I have automatic updates turned on, it shows a total of 530
    updates, although they are the same updates that it tried to upload once a
    day, I guess.

    Karla

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Which updates are they?
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >> In fact, viewing my update history I find that these updates have failed
    >> everyday since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 -- a period of over 25 days!
    >>
    >> Karla
    >> "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >>> Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to
    >>> the Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to
    >>> install. But tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install.
    >>> The only message I'm given is that the updates "failed."
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Karla

    A sampling of the 500+ failed updates shows the same error code: 0x80246008
    ..

    Does that tell you anything?

    Karla

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Which updates are they?
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >> In fact, viewing my update history I find that these updates have failed
    >> everyday since I upgraded to Service Pack 2 -- a period of over 25 days!
    >>
    >> Karla
    >> "Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
    >>> Trying to figure out my hardware problems (see previous post) I went to
    >>> the Windows update page and found 11 critical updates I needed to
    >>> install. But tried twice and both times the updates did NOT install.
    >>> The only message I'm given is that the updates "failed."
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Karla

  6. If you click on this link http://www.connectionwizard.org/ and go to my malware removal section, there is detailed instructions that will help you. just click on the instructions link. the software is totally free and very easy instructions on using it. Everyone needs to get all the microsoft updates before the worm hits. Microsoft updates has a patch so you won't get it. I hear it's a bad one too. Tell your friends about this site when you are done. The site is currently under construction but I do have all the links for the software up and starting the instructions, now so be patient. Instructions for the first one are already in there.

Configuration Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP