ASUS Striker Extreme BIOS Settings Will NOT Save

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Striker Extreme
Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2011 8:03:24 PM

Sup ppl?
I am venturing into the world of overclocking, and already I have came across a problem. Everytime I change the FSB in the BIOS for my ASUS Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI MoBo and reboot, it will NOT save. It keeps reverting the FSB back to 1066 regardless of what figures I put there.

I have also tried the AI Overclock along with the NOS thing and those settings will save, but when I boot into the OS, it's still using the Default FSB and Memory Clock.

So far, I have updated to BIOS 1504 (which, from multiple posts across the Web, appears to be very good with the Q6600 C2Q I am using), i've Loaded BIOS Defaults, Clear the CMOS (cut power, put jumper in 2-3 position and held Reset CMOS, unplugged PSU and held Power Button for 40 secs, and no difference. The strange thing is that allot of settings will remain after a reboot, such as the Boot Order, RAM voltage (so does the Timings in the BIOS, except in windows, it still shows as default 5-5-5-18) and stuff like Disabling Speed Step and C1E, changing the LCD text and so on, so it can't be the Battery. The main prob appears to be with the FSB settings. I also tried Linked, Unlinked, and same damn thing.

The board is getting up in age, but does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Searching the entire web hasn't revealed a solution for me.

Thanks
~Des

More about : asus striker extreme bios settings save

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 14, 2011 8:25:52 PM

Those button bios batteries sometimes wear out. Frys has a 4 pack for about $5, or $1.99 for a single. I had a similar problem the other day; system ocassionally resets itself and I know it by the fan speeds and post screen. But it doesn't happen all the time. I'm just too lazy to go to frys for a new battery.
July 14, 2011 8:30:58 PM

o1die said:
Those button bios batteries sometimes wear out. Frys has a 4 pack for about $5, or $1.99 for a single.

desolator4u said:
The strange thing is that allot of settings will remain after a reboot, such as the Boot Order, RAM voltage (so does the Timings in the BIOS, except in windows, it still shows as default 5-5-5-18) and stuff like Disabling Speed Step and C1E, changing the LCD text and so on, so it can't be the Battery.

If it was the Battery, why would the BIOS retain so may of the settings? There must be a reason why it only happens with the FSB (and Memory Timings as well apparently)

~Des

Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 14, 2011 8:33:12 PM

I actually reverted back to an older bios file recently for a ram issue. You might try it and see if that fixes your issues.
July 14, 2011 8:47:21 PM

o1die said:
I actually reverted back to an older bios file recently for a ram issue. You might try it and see if that fixes your issues.

You mean flashing the BIOS to a different version? I would hate for that to go wrong, but if it comes down to being the only option, i'll try that.

~Des
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 2:41:28 AM

You know what, though, it can't hurt to replace the bios battery. It's due anyway. They don't last forever, and for $2-4, it's worth a try.
October 21, 2011 8:50:45 PM

Clearing the CMOS with the button on the board didn't help, it just got rid of my custom settings, so I did the trick with flipping the Battery around in the slot for 10 secs, then put it back in normal and everything, including the time was reset and now the FSB Clocks will stay.
I'm currently running 1333 for the FSB with my Q6600. The 3GHz OC from the stock 2.4 made some difference in Bad Company 2 and Crysis 2.
Hope this helps anyone else out there, even though the board has been around for a while.

~Des
!