Performace of Single RAID card vs Striping Multiple Arrays (RAID 5)

I am currently working on creating a 48TB linux storage server that I eventually will make into an iSCSI target. What i'm stuck on right now is should I implement a single 24 port RAID card and create a single RAID 5 array to use for data storage OR should I implement 3 8-port RAID cards, create 3 RAID 5 arrays, and software RAID the 3 arrays together (RAID 0) so it shows up as one big disk (md0). Will I see any performance improvements by doing the second option? Will there be less parity calculation time since it is being spread across 3 arrays? ANY information is greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about performace single raid card striping multiple arrays raid
  1. what kind of data would be stored and accessed on the arrays?
  2. Get this ready to deploy SAS 6Gb/s 16bay system
    http://www.datoptic.com/3u-scale-able-sixteen-16-sas-sata-6gb-s-raid-with-40gb-s-bandwidth-sas-6gb-controller-included.html
    It allows to grow in time... 128 drives

You can have multiple RAID5, RAID6 or RAI50/60 volumes... It is very flexible
  3. Personally I would go with the single 24port RAID card, but this is also probably the more expensive of the two options. First off from a performance standpoint, with the single 24 port solution you can use the hardware RAID controller/proc for the XOR calcs rather than the system processor. From a reliability standpoint I tend to like hardware RAID better, and with 3 separate cards you have 3 potential things to fail versus 1. That being said, you should always have a spare controller and a spare 24 port would cost much more than a spare 8 port.
  4. BTW the added complexity of the 3card solution will make recovery in the event a failure exponentially more complicated.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage