Double hard drive fail after power fail.

JohanDK

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hi all,

This is the first time I post on this forum and I hope you can help me with a qualified answer to my question.

---------------------------SPECS--------------------------------------------

I have a rig with 8 SATA hard drives, four of which is attached in a hot swap array for storage. The four remaining disks are arranged as follows.

1x Windows 7 disk
1x Linux boot and /
1x /var
1x /home

^^ This is not really that important info but it helps mystify the occurrence of my problem.

The rig runs 24/7 and this has not proven to be a problem.

---------------------------WATCH OUT RANT AHEAD, goto next section to bypass--------------------
This morning my girlfriend was vacuuming and running the laundry on the same time. While this has not shown to be a problem before a fuse blew. The RCCB did its job and disconnected the main. She called med at work and I guided her through the process of changing the fuses and getting the power back on. Anyways I come home and I turn on my machine and it cant load the OS!

---------------------------THE PROBLEM-----------------------------------------------------------------

When turning on the rig I can hear 'beeping' noises from two of the system disks. This is actually not the disk beeping but the sound of the actuator arm moving in a pattern that emits whats seems to be a beeping sound.

I have read everything I could get my hands on regarding recovering from hard drive failure and it is prominent that it is a physical problem. The reason as I understand, is because the disk cant find or read the system area or cant find or read cylinder boundaries.

Recovery can 'possibly' be done by getting professional help which is too expensive for my budget.

My question is, how can a power cut create the same failure on two different disks at the same time?

JohanDK

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Im thinking that since the computer is cut off the grid at the power fail. Then when the power comes back up the rig is safe. But I guess not :/ life is hard and hard disk dies. Lucky me I just uploaded my active projects to a production server, which as of now apparently is my backup. Well backup backup backup. You loose some, you gain some. Right now I am purchasing new disks which will serve as a raid1 array and one disk for backup. Marry Christmas to me...and you

Just to confirm, can you hear the drives spin up before they start to beep? Are you sure the actuator is moving?

I realise yours are internal, but some external drives beep when they have a stiction fault (heads stuck to platters).