Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Partitioning a 1tb hdd

Last response: in Storage
December 4, 2012 6:29:59 PM

hello
I recently bought a new wd caviar green 1tb hdd. I have to install win7 ultimate 64bit on it. i have a few questions:

1. If i put games on the same partition as of the os, would i get better performance? or should i put my games on a different partition? does it make any difference?

2. how much size should i give to partition in which os is going to be kept considering the above 2 cases?

3. how many partitions should i form to maintain life and speed of my hdd?

More about : partitioning 1tb hdd

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
December 4, 2012 7:43:42 PM

I would put a seperate partition for the OS of about 80 gb and then a second partion depending on how many games and programs you have and a storage partition for thing that you weant to keep but are not going to access every day. The second partition could be about 600gb and the rest would be for the storage. You don't want too many partitons since thre is only the one read head it's not going to be any faster making too many partitions.
December 5, 2012 5:12:15 AM

Should i install my games in C: or in other partition??
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 6:13:21 AM

kautilya0 said:
hello
I recently bought a new wd caviar green 1tb hdd. I have to install win7 ultimate 64bit on it. i have a few questions:

1. If i put games on the same partition as of the os, would i get better performance? or should i put my games on a different partition? does it make any difference?

2. how much size should i give to partition in which os is going to be kept considering the above 2 cases?

3. how many partitions should i form to maintain life and speed of my hdd?

i dunno if you already know this...
the cavier green drives are meant for storage i.e for data which will be accessed occasionally
You may in fact notice a drop in performance depending on how fast your previous drive was, if you use the green as system drive
m
l
December 25, 2012 4:17:03 PM

Best answer selected by kautilya0.
m
l
!