Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard does not post with new RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2011 9:43:00 PM

Hello

I've just installed new 2x2 DDR3 Corsair RAM kit (CML4GXM2A1600C9) on my MSI P35 Neo Combo motherboard and when i turn on my PC the coolers turns on, i hear my hard drives spinning, however no beep sounds nor video signal.

What I've already tried:
1) Setting all bios settings related to RAM, CPU and voltages to [Auto]
2) Resetting CMOS (both with jumper and removing battery)
3) Flashing latest bios (actually tried all available bios versions and had the same problem with all of them)
4) Putting back old RAM sticks (worked like a charm)
5) Tried to power PC without any RAM sticks installed (same as with new DDR3 sticks)
6) Tried to power PC with only one new DDR3 stick installed (still same problem)
7) Thought about setting Voltage, timings and speed in bios before installing DDR3, however i can't set voltage to 1.5V when DDR2 is installed (1.8V min) so i did not try this one.

So since resetting and reflashing bios did not help and old DDR2 ram sticks are working properly the only problem seems to be RAM sticks or DDR3 slots on my mobo. However I cant test them on other PC's since no one I know uses DDR3 compatible mobo nor I can test any other DDR3 ram module on my mobo. What is more it seems highly unlikely that both RAM sticks would not be working

So what am I missing?
Maybe my mobo does not support these sticks? However I saw few posts in some forums when ppl managed to run 2x2GB DDR3 1600 MHz sticks on this mobo (obviously with lower frequency)

System specs:
Processor: Q6600
Mobo: MSI P35 Neo Combo (hybrid with 2xDDR2 and 2xDDR3 slots), 1333 MHz FSB
New DDR3 ram sticks: 2x2GB Corsair CML4GXM2A1600C9 1600 MHz
Old DDR2 ram sticks: 2x1GB A-Data 800 MHz
Video: GeForce 8800GT

More about : motherboard post ram

a c 217 V Motherboard
July 14, 2011 10:23:19 PM

You did remove the DDR2 sticks before you installed the DDR3 sticks, right? You can't use both at the same time. Try this, boot with the DDR2 installed. Go into your BIOS and make sure all memory settings are set to auto/default. Then save the settings and power down your rig. Remove the DDR2 and install the DDR3. Try again.

Good luck!
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 14, 2011 10:41:32 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

Short answer incompatible RAM. Obviously, you cannot use DDR2 and DDR3 simultaneously - don't!!! However, you selected a 1600 MHz Kit on a 1066 MHz MOBO and I have no idea if it has a JEDEC 1066 {533 MHz} - should be.

You can 'try':
1. Swap
Old RAM
FSB/Memory Ratio and set it to render 1066
Advance DRAM Configuration /Enter; Configure DRAM Timing by SPD -> Enable
Save & Exit
Swap out the NEW RAM.

2. Clean
The last thing to 'try' is to clean the DDR3 DIMM slots:
Dampen the Vengeance contacts with Isopropyl alcohol
Insert damp into DDR3 DIMM slot
Remove, wipe-off and repeat twice per slot
Allow to try 5 minutes

3. Fail Safe
Failure BIOS Load Fail Safe and save, and try agian.

4. RMA {return} the RAM
Failure get more compatible RAM.

P35 Neo Combo:
• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 667/800 DRAM. (Max: 4GB)
• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066 DRAM. (Max: 4GB)

Vengeance™ Low Profile — 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML4GX3M2A1600C9)
PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
SPD Speed 1333Mhz
http://www.corsair.com/memory/vengeance/vengeance-low-p...

Compatible 1066MHz DDR3 RAM {CT2KIT25664BA1067 or CT2KIT25664BA1339} -> http://www.crucial.com/store/ListParts.aspx?model=P35%2...
Related resources
July 15, 2011 6:59:04 AM

Thanks for the answers!

Quote:
You did remove the DDR2 sticks before you installed the DDR3 sticks, right? You can't use both at the same time.

Yes I know. I did remove DDR2 before installing DDR3.

Quote:
Go into your BIOS and make sure all memory settings are set to auto/default. Then save the settings and power down your rig. Remove the DDR2 and install the DDR3.

I also did that with no luck.

Quote:
1. Swap
Old RAM
Save & Exit
Swap out the NEW RAM.

2. Clean
The last thing to 'try' is to clean the DDR3 DIMM slots:
Dampen the Vengeance contacts with Isopropyl alcohol
Insert damp into DDR3 DIMM slot
Remove, wipe-off and repeat twice per slot
Allow to try 5 minutes

I will try your suggestions as soon as I get back home from work.

However I thought you could install pretty much any frequency memory and the motherboard would adjust frequencies to run that memory on lower rates...
July 15, 2011 6:59:55 AM

Check all your power connections and data connections. Make sure that everything is properly on the motherboard, to clear the BIOS and try again.

July 15, 2011 9:53:08 AM

Try starting your computer with just one stick of ram in.
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 2:26:45 PM

You need to make sure the RAM you bought is compatible with the motherboard. This memory is not. Send it back and get memory your board is capable of supporting at default settings.
July 15, 2011 5:31:55 PM

Hello again!

I finally managed to get it up and running. Thank you jaquith for solution!

Quote:
1. Swap
Old RAM
Save & Exit
Swap out the NEW RAM.

Looks good.

So once again thanks for help :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 7:01:09 PM

If you have problems later, you might need to raise the CAS Timings. Currently, your running the RAM timings as an OC.

The next step is to test the RAM with 2-4 passes of Memtest86+; create a bootable CD/DVD using the ISO/zip file -> http://www.memtest.org/

If you have problems:
1066 6-6-6-15-2T ->changes> 1066 7-7-7-21-2T or 8-8-8-22-2T

Glad to hear & Good Luck! :) 
December 24, 2011 9:04:38 AM

Hi

I have the same problem with the same motherboard but this (new)RAM http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/value-s...
I have the latest BIOS version - 1.7

I tried the solution above but with no luck. Are there any variations that I can try? And can you please tell me what actual value did you use for FSB/Memory Ratio?

April 14, 2012 4:28:54 PM

I know this is an old thread, but, I thought I'd post here before starting a new thread.

I have the same motherboard and I bought a memory upgrade. It is the same memory as janquith suggested was compatible. Although I bought it before reading this thread, it isn't posting. My DDR2 works just fine, but nothing happens with the DDR3. I've tried a lot of things that people have suggested in this post with no luck. My bios has preset clocking rates so I can't set it to exactly 1066 dram rating in them.

I'm no professional, but I've never had any problems finding out how to tweak things to work. I'm thinking all I have left is RMA. Is there any suggestion someone could make that would be guaranteed compatible ram?
July 16, 2012 4:12:04 PM

My son's computer had the same problem. Tried three different sets of memory and it would not POST.

So we updated the BIOS and voila! Success!

- Brad
!