traitors on ONS servers

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I've been noticing more and more people deliberately trying to screw up
their own team in UT, taking vehicles and not doing anything, taking
HellBenders and killing their teammates, trying to rack up the most
negative score, etc.

This kind of thing is going to be a problem in any public multiuser
game, unfortunately. I wonder what the solution is. Something like
Steam, maybe, that requires connecting in order to play, and allows
easy banning of individual players. Servers could subscribe to a ban
list so that traitors would be literally unable to play without
generating a whole new identity. After a while it would get to be too
much work for the morons to bother.

-Dan / Tuber
12 answers Last reply
More about traitors servers
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I've been noticing more and more people deliberately trying to screw up
    > their own team in UT, taking vehicles and not doing anything, taking
    > HellBenders and killing their teammates, trying to rack up the most
    > negative score, etc.
    >
    > This kind of thing is going to be a problem in any public multiuser
    > game, unfortunately. I wonder what the solution is. Something like
    > Steam, maybe, that requires connecting in order to play, and allows
    > easy banning of individual players. Servers could subscribe to a ban
    > list so that traitors would be literally unable to play without
    > generating a whole new identity. After a while it would get to be too
    > much work for the morons to bother.
    >
    > -Dan / Tuber

    Use kick ban, i would think other people on your team would want to ban the
    traitor too.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    there is too much whining about what happens on public servers. Is it me or
    have yawl forgotten, you can put together yer own serverbox, prolly best to
    run sum flavor of Linux on it, and host your own damb server. Password it or
    have it not list on the masterserver, then have only yer buddies join it.
    Hell, for that matter for the bandwidth-challenged, rent a server and still
    can host and admin yer own that way. I host my own lil 8-man DM server and
    play with only my buds, sometimes a vctf or ons game as well, but 384kbps up
    is kinda limiting on how many i can decently host for, but still better than
    whining and bitchin about public servers' occupant-behavior!

    syn
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > there is too much whining about what happens on public servers. Is it me
    > or
    > have yawl forgotten,

    y'all ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:46:19 GMT, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:

    >"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been noticing more and more people deliberately trying to screw up
    >> their own team in UT, taking vehicles and not doing anything, taking
    >> HellBenders and killing their teammates, trying to rack up the most
    >> negative score, etc.
    >>
    >> This kind of thing is going to be a problem in any public multiuser
    >> game, unfortunately. I wonder what the solution is. Something like
    >> Steam, maybe, that requires connecting in order to play, and allows
    >> easy banning of individual players. Servers could subscribe to a ban
    >> list so that traitors would be literally unable to play without
    >> generating a whole new identity. After a while it would get to be too
    >> much work for the morons to bother.
    >>
    >> -Dan / Tuber
    >>

    >an online database of smacktards that all game servers could access for any
    >game would be a good thing.

    Unless there's some form of access to the product ID that admins can use
    easily, it's not going to happen. Half-Life is capable of banning by ID
    (if not the original Half-Life, one of it's standard "essential server"
    mods), but makes it a little difficult to man smacktards tht join, kill
    everybody in sight, and disconnect.

    You're better off getting a mod that checks the amount of damage inflicted
    by a given player. (e.g. If he inflicts more than 100 points of damage to
    teammates and it is over one-quarter of the total damage inflicted, then
    the player gets kicked.) I wouldn't be suprised if such a mod is already
    available.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in

    > "Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> there is too much whining about what happens on public servers. Is it
    >> me or have yawl forgotten,
    >

    > y'all ;op

    He also uses the strange word 'damb'.

    --
    Anthony Haines
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    And prolly

    --
    Mark
    --

    "Anthony Haines" <anthonyhaines@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in
    >
    >> "Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>> there is too much whining about what happens on public servers. Is it
    >>> me or have yawl forgotten,
    >>

    >> y'all ;op
    >
    > He also uses the strange word 'damb'.
    >
    > --
    > Anthony Haines
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:13:15 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:46:19 GMT, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
    >
    >>"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've been noticing more and more people deliberately trying to screw up
    >>> their own team in UT, taking vehicles and not doing anything, taking
    >>> HellBenders and killing their teammates, trying to rack up the most
    >>> negative score, etc.
    >>>
    >>> This kind of thing is going to be a problem in any public multiuser
    >>> game, unfortunately. I wonder what the solution is. Something like
    >>> Steam, maybe, that requires connecting in order to play, and allows
    >>> easy banning of individual players. Servers could subscribe to a ban
    >>> list so that traitors would be literally unable to play without
    >>> generating a whole new identity. After a while it would get to be too
    >>> much work for the morons to bother.
    >>>
    >>> -Dan / Tuber
    >>>

    >>an online database of smacktards that all game servers could access for any
    >>game would be a good thing.
    >
    >Unless there's some form of access to the product ID that admins can use
    >easily, it's not going to happen. Half-Life is capable of banning by ID
    >(if not the original Half-Life, one of it's standard "essential server"
    >mods), but makes it a little difficult to man smacktards tht join, kill
    >everybody in sight, and disconnect.

    Check the server logs! Easy.

    >You're better off getting a mod that checks the amount of damage inflicted
    >by a given player. (e.g. If he inflicts more than 100 points of damage to
    >teammates and it is over one-quarter of the total damage inflicted, then
    >the player gets kicked.) I wouldn't be suprised if such a mod is already
    >available.

    Either that or just listen to the people who play on your server........
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Mark C." <mustango656@comcast.net> wrote in

    > Hey Paul, What happened at sws that made a bunch of ppl quit and form
    > bro?

    Oh a couple of people got in a fight, it got real personal, etc. Those that
    were unhappy with the resolution decided to bail. We still have 30+
    members, it's kind of a relief that it's down some as the bigger the clan
    gets the harder it is to manage.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Folk wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:46:19 GMT, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>

    > There is such a thing already for UT.
    >
    > See: http://utan.unrealadmin.org/

    Annnndddd. It works. The only thing wrong with it is when you get some
    malicious 12 year old with the power to ban. I like a little more personal
    approach.

    When I was participating in a few admin mailing lists, we shared ban info on
    occasion. I personally think that is a better way to go. If I get to know
    a few admins who operate the same type of server as I do, it is nice to
    share not just ban info but also technical issues and etc. - Email a few
    admins running the same server type and start a monthly mailing list
    discussion.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:35:30 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Folk wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:46:19 GMT, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
    >

    >> There is such a thing already for UT.
    >>
    >> See: http://utan.unrealadmin.org/
    >
    >Annnndddd. It works. The only thing wrong with it is when you get some
    >malicious 12 year old with the power to ban. I like a little more personal
    >approach.
    >
    >When I was participating in a few admin mailing lists, we shared ban info on
    >occasion. I personally think that is a better way to go. If I get to know
    >a few admins who operate the same type of server as I do, it is nice to
    >share not just ban info but also technical issues and etc. - Email a few
    >admins running the same server type and start a monthly mailing list
    >discussion.

    I agree. Although I linked to it as an example of what Margolis was
    asking about (global ban list) I'm not sure I agree with the idea
    behind it for the same reasons that you're giving here. Hell, I
    wouldn't even trust myself on a bad day, much less some other admin.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Folk wrote:

    > Hell, I
    > wouldn't even trust myself on a bad day, much less some other admin.

    And *that* is why you were the absolute best admin *ever*! - Bar none.
    Everybody got a fair shake, even the troublemakers got a fair shake and a
    second chance.

    And that is also why we love ya, man!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament,alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Dan, I agree that this world should be a certain way but there are
    always going to be losers of all sorts and sizes. I've taken the
    attitude that if I'm going to play on a public server and I don't want
    to be annoyed, it's deathmatch only. Still have to deal with the
    hacktards of course but it at least takes the arsehole component out of
    the equation.

    If you want to play team games, get together with your buddies and have
    someone host a server. It is really the best way to go unless you have
    arseholes for buddies. If you do, then change your friends first.

Games Servers Video Games