Insipron 5000 Power Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2004 7:51:17 PM

I have had an I5000 for several years with no problems. Just the other
day, I left it for a little while and when I came back it was off.

When the power supply (PA-6 AC adapter) is plugged into the laptop and
then gets plugged into the wall, the light does not come on. However,
if it is not plugged into the laptop and is plugged into the wall the
light comes on UNTIL it is plugged into the laptop (at which point, the
light turns off). The battery is already dead so I have to use the
power supply to power the laptop or charge the battery.

At first I thought the power supply was shot, so I tried a new one and
the same thing happened. It almost seems like there is some kind of
internal short circuit, but where? Motherboard? RAM? I have no idea.

If anyone else has had this problem, please, please, please let me know
what you did to resolve it. I don't really want to buy a new laptop.
Thanks in advace,
Damian
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2004 11:05:07 AM

symez@atlantic.net wrote:
> I have had an I5000 for several years with no problems. Just the
> other day, I left it for a little while and when I came back it was
> off.
>
> When the power supply (PA-6 AC adapter) is plugged into the laptop and
> then gets plugged into the wall, the light does not come on. However,
> if it is not plugged into the laptop and is plugged into the wall the
> light comes on UNTIL it is plugged into the laptop (at which point,
> the light turns off). The battery is already dead so I have to use
> the power supply to power the laptop or charge the battery.
>
> At first I thought the power supply was shot, so I tried a new one and
> the same thing happened. It almost seems like there is some kind of
> internal short circuit, but where? Motherboard? RAM? I have no
> idea.
>
> If anyone else has had this problem, please, please, please let me
> know what you did to resolve it. I don't really want to buy a new
> laptop. Thanks in advace,
> Damian

If you can find the reset button, press it while the unit is on AC
power - you might get lucky. Another possible fix is to remove the
battery, remove the AC adapter, hold the power button down for a minute,
then try restarting on the AC adapter only.

OTOH, it could be one many terminal failure modes including a failure of
the power management circuit. The first thing to check is the main fuse
which might have opened for some reason. If you can identify the fuse,
often a "large" 1/4 inch x1/4 inch x 5/16 inch or similar block
typically near the power adapter plug, it can often be bypassed with a
5-6 amp picofuse soldered or silver-epoxied across the terminal ends.
Otherwise it might be a broken solder connection or cracked board at the
power adapter plug, plus many other unrepairable failures requiring a
mainboard replacement.

You might also take this to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where there might be
help specific for this unit.

a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2004 2:13:21 PM

Most likely a DC connector solder joint issue on the Motherboard. Try
wiggling slightly and see if the LED pops on. If you need help just
yell
www.ikenfixit.com
December 14, 2004 5:51:34 PM

Thanks guys, I'll definitely try these suggestions.
!