RTL8188SU mini usb WLAN adaptor

G

I just got a really small usb wlan adaptor off ebay for my 64bit version of windows, because my old adapter doesn't work on 64bit.
The seller told me it runs with a RTL8188SU driver, which I got from realtek, installed and got working.
The problem is, it is EXTREMELY slow, it's not even funny.
I did a speed test on my ISP's site and after a long time, it measured 4KBs.
Plugged in my old wlan adaptor (dynalink WLB1402, very old 802.11b driver) and dual booted the 32bit back, and it reads 435KBs.
I tried the new adaptor on 32bit aswell, allowing Win7 to auto-install the driver, but there was no difference.

Here are the specs:
* Support IEEE 802.11n
* Support IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g standard
* USB 2.0 interface
* Mini-Size

Wifi Standards : IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Interface : USB 2.0
Frequency Band : 2.4GHz ISM Band*
Modulation Method : BPSK / QPSK / 16-QAM / 64-QAM
Security Mode : WEP, TKIP, AES, WPA and WPA2
Bandwidth : 40MHz for 150Mbps, 20MHz for 72.2Mbps
Supporting OS: Windows XP / Vista / Win 7
Mac OS 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6
Linux

Data Rate : IEEE 802.11n 150Mbps (Max)
IEEE 802.11g 54Mbps (Max)
IEEE 802.11b 11Mbps (Max) Transmitter Power : IEEE 802.11n: 14 dBm (Max)
IEEE 802.11g: 14 dBm (Max)
IEEE 802.11b: 17 dBm (Max)
* NOT support 5GHz Frequency Band
** Updated drivers can also be downloaded separately
So it is supposed to be this slow or am I doing something wrong?
What should I look for when buying a new one, if I need to?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
Alright, I just changed a couple of things

Changed the Interface Type from 802.11b to 802.11g
And the Security Mode from WEP to WPA-PSK

It seems to be running at 56kB's as the speed test from my ISP shows mid-high 40kB's.
Although that is still no where as fast as it should be...

G

I've made another discovery.
When I plug the new wlan adaptor in, the "Actual Speed" listed under Home Network - WLAN: (SSID) changes.
If it is on 802.11b, it will change from 11Mbps to 1Mbps, and on 802.11g from 54Mbps to 1Mbps.
(This will revert when the new adaptor is removed, or when my old one is plugged back in)
Is it possible this new wlan adaptor is just a very cheap knockoff?

How much would I be looking at when purchasing one that can support 802.11g?

G

I have also bought one of these (150M USB Wireless LAN Adapter WIFI 802.11n/g/b Antenna) from ebay and have the same issues. Reports realtek 8188su chipset.

It shows good signal but gives appalling speed even with drivers updated. Undoubtedly these are cheap crap chinese clones

G

I've made another discovery.
When I plug the new wlan adaptor in, the "Actual Speed" listed under Home Network - WLAN: (SSID) changes.
If it is on 802.11b, it will change from 11Mbps to 1Mbps, and on 802.11g from 54Mbps to 1Mbps.
(This will revert when the new adaptor is removed, or when my old one is plugged back in)
Is it possible this new wlan adaptor is just a very cheap knockoff?

How much would I be looking at when purchasing one that can support 802.11g?

Though it's true that even the cheapest wireless adapters use pretty much the same chipsets as the big brands -- the difference between cheapos and name brands is in after sales support.

I currently use a very cheap PCI wireless adapter and it's turned out to be the equal of Netgear -- and there's a support site with a driver update. But I think I was lucky -- with Linksys, Dlink, Netgear you are much more likely to get consistent, long term support -- most importantly if the product has a defect as it sounds is the case with the adapter you bought they will replace it.