Corsair hx650 for dual msi gtx460 cyclones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxp12

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Hi guys, I recently made my first build and I'm planning to sli it soon but I'm wondering if my powersupply can handle it. My system specs: core i5-760, asus p7p55d-e pro, coolermaster hyper 212 plus, antec 300 case, 2x2 corsair xms ddr3 1600 cl7, 2x samsung spinpoint f3 500gb, msi gtx460 1gb cyclone, corsair hx650 watt psu. Do you guys think my powersupply can handle adding another cyclone gtx460 if my cpu was overclocked to around 3.3ghz? Thanks in advance

Solution
Hi mxp12, Thats one heck of a nice PC you built there, nice work.

As for your question about power you may want to take a look at this article HERE, which includes peak power use with many different GPU's as well as X-fire/SLI setups. Keep in mind these numbers are total power use of an average build i7 machine, and not just the GPU's themselves. The chart shows the GTX 460 SLI system using 510w at a peak load under futuremark benchmarking. meaning you will have 140w headroom for your OC and to allow some breathing room so your PSU is not running near its peak which will inevitably shorten its lifespan and cause high case temps.

You can also check out the test that Tom's has performed on SLI power usage HERE. Tom's...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi mxp12, Thats one heck of a nice PC you built there, nice work.

As for your question about power you may want to take a look at this article HERE, which includes peak power use with many different GPU's as well as X-fire/SLI setups. Keep in mind these numbers are total power use of an average build i7 machine, and not just the GPU's themselves. The chart shows the GTX 460 SLI system using 510w at a peak load under futuremark benchmarking. meaning you will have 140w headroom for your OC and to allow some breathing room so your PSU is not running near its peak which will inevitably shorten its lifespan and cause high case temps.

You can also check out the test that Tom's has performed on SLI power usage HERE. Tom's measured 560w on and average i7 machine with GTX 460 SLI, which is higher than the Anandtech numbers and means you could have even less amount of headroom.

Keep in mind the i7 will be drawing more power than your i5.

Solution

mxp12

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
thanks for the quick replies and thanks the chief73 for the complement on my rig, it took me a couple of months just to plan it. it seems i might have a chance to sli my rig. do you think my current cpu overclock and the stock overclock on 2 gtx460 cyclones will still leave my psu within acceptable limits? thanks

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Well I am just looking at the numbers of the benchmarks I gave you and going by the highest reading that Tom's got of 560w and you have a 650w that is probably capable of providing that much power and maybe even more because the good manufactures underate thier products, the HX850 was tested to provide up to 1000w in a reputable review and with that your PSU you have will most likely be ABLE to power your system.

But....being able and wise choice is not always the same thing. You have to consider that you will have 90w of headroom on your current PSU, most PSU's opperate at thier peak efficientcy at 50% load, you also will be creating more heat not alot but more in your case, heat lowers the lifespan of your PSU and any other component to what degree I cannot say, and the last point is that while gaming or running video/cpu intensive programs your PSU will be stressed more than a high watt PSU trying to provide the same power and stess will also lower life-span but again to what degree I cannot say.

Also keep in mind those benchmarks used an i7-920 you have a i5-760 so..... i7 is 130w and i5 is 95w = 35w difference.
So really you have a 125w buffer zone between your PSU's max output and your desired setup of GTX460 SLI, I do not know how much power doing an OC on the i5 would add but I assume it would be lower that the 35w difference between the i7 and i5.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
^@ct1615, Thanks for backing me up on this and the nice i7 OC'd benchmarks. I hate to go out on a limb on my own. :) I just dont want to unintentionally give poor advice or steer someone in the wrong direction is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.