Sign in with
Your question

Computer hangs (noob)

Last response: in Motherboards
July 15, 2011 2:40:13 AM

hi everyone! i'm new to the forum and wanted to ask the experts for assistance

i have a intel wolfdale on a asus p5q pro motherboard

for some reason... out of the blue one day, my computer would turn on, fans run, but doesn't load the windows

i tried resetting the bios (i think) by pulling out the battery on my mobo and putting it back it

that helped but the next day.. i got the same 'hanging' on the screen.

any suggestions what this could be?? thank you!

More about : computer hangs noob

July 15, 2011 6:55:41 AM

There are two types of black screens that can be displayed in Windows. A place where the computer will not start, but you have a sequence of beeps to let you know what the problem could be, and the other has nothing. No beeps, no cursor, no login screen and no option to start in safe mode or access to the BIOS.

m
l
July 15, 2011 10:35:29 AM

^i believe it's the second one.

additionally, i noticed that if and when my screen does load, the first thing it says is "CPU FAN ERROR".. but i read that's not a real issue in the sense that the fan is running, but for some reason the mobo thinks it's not.
i checked my temps are they're 39-40 idle
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2011 3:26:26 PM

Us sitting here guessing rarely adds value to this.

The questions that run through my mind are: is anything overclocked, is the bios config changing, is the RAM timings correct for the RAM (the number of people that cannot get the voltage right is baffling). When I see this usually my system is looking at RAM timings - yours may be different.

I would try going into maintenance mode and looking at what is going on in the bios - if that works. Could be the battery is going bad (they do) or the PSU is going bad (they wear out especially if cheap).

good luck
m
l
July 15, 2011 3:29:48 PM

vvhocare5 said:

The questions that run through my mind are: is anything overclocked, is the bios config changing, is the RAM timings correct for the RAM (the number of people that cannot get the voltage right is baffling). When I see this usually my system is looking at RAM timings - yours may be different.

I would try going into maintenance mode and looking at what is going on in the bios - if that works. Could be the battery is going bad (they do) or the PSU is going bad (they wear out especially if cheap).

good luck

hi there,

nothing is overclocked, i didn't configure anything in my bios, i am one of those people who do not know how to get the voltage right (sorry..)

i did replace my psu, and now thinking about the battery.

guess there's no way to describe my issue to receive better help..
m
l
August 3, 2011 11:00:55 AM

vvhocare5 said:

good luck

hi there,

so i replaced the PSU and just replaced the motherboard last night - still hangs.
the one thing that's never failed me is popping the battery off the mobo and putting it back in - it always starts.

i have no idea how to time the RAM correctly so if you can explain a bit further, that'll be great.

also i started getting a message on my desktop now saying 'windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working" . . . what does that mean?
m
l
!