Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would this card fit / cool efficiently?

Last response: in Components
November 19, 2010 1:04:56 AM

this has been on my mind for a while a now and ive finally decided to just man up and ask, how do g-cards that have a fan in the middle keep cool? i mean ive always that that the standard fan at the end blowing air out the other with a case fan right behind was the best way other than liquid, the thought drives me insane, here to drive other forum people insane : back (or top for some people) of case *some air blowing this way* <g-card*fan*g-card> *some air blowing this way* <--- air blowing this way*case fan* : front of case. WAHT, THE, ****, has your mind been raped? mine has. so someone please explain to me how the hell that is supposed to work, could the asus ares 5870x2 cool decently in my raven rv02? should i just man up and buy 2 5970's and stop denying that they would be more than enough to run bad company 2, or other?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 6:05:25 AM

Ok... Here I go.

A. Chill, please.
B. It cools fine, the while idea is actually that since sometimes the slot at the back of the graphics card will limit how much air can go through it (bottleneck sort of), and that its then better to blow the warm air into the chassis, which we are assuming has enough airflow to get rid of the warm air quickly.
C. 2 5970's are more powerful than a single ARES 5870X2
D. Why spend so much money on a graphic card(s)?
E. Those cards are both overkill for BFBC2, even a single 5970, is waaaaaay too much. A single 5870 would cut plenty.
F. It's up to you what you spend your money on though, but don't worry about the cooling, these people all know what they are doing... at least I hope so.
G. Stop being mind raped.

Have a good day! Cheerz
:sol: 
a c 104 ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 6:22:09 AM

The fan draws air onto the graphics cards heatsink, helping cool things, some allow the air to disperse as it can, others direct it to the rear of the case where they usually have slots cut in them to allow it to escape the case.
and usually anyone going overkill on fans will have worked out the 'optimum' airflow for thier case and set fans up accordingly, the accepted advice is as follows
front fans and side fans> intake
rear fans and top fans> exhaust
hope this helps,
Moto
Related resources
November 19, 2010 11:05:34 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Ok... Here I go.

A. Chill, please.
B. It cools fine, the while idea is actually that since sometimes the slot at the back of the graphics card will limit how much air can go through it (bottleneck sort of), and that its then better to blow the warm air into the chassis, which we are assuming has enough airflow to get rid of the warm air quickly.
C. 2 5970's are more powerful than a single ARES 5870X2
D. Why spend so much money on a graphic card(s)?
E. Those cards are both overkill for BFBC2, even a single 5970, is waaaaaay too much. A single 5870 would cut plenty.
F. It's up to you what you spend your money on though, but don't worry about the cooling, these people all know what they are doing... at least I hope so.
G. Stop being mind raped.

Have a good day! Cheerz

okay before i make spend any money are you at least 99% sure ill be fine? i have the silverstone rv02 case (cool air comes in bottom and out the top) i have replaced all 3 intake fans with 150cfm fans (no one makes a better 180mm fan) the back end of the asus ares im sure will be fine just the front end im worried but also have the theory that since housing of the card is kinda open air that it will just be spread out and eventually out the top
a b ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 11:17:51 AM

wesley-mcg- said:
okay before i make spend any money are you at least 99% sure ill be fine? i have the silverstone rv02 case (cool air comes in bottom and out the top) i have replaced all 3 intake fans with 150cfm fans (no one makes a better 180mm fan) the back end of the asus ares im sure will be fine just the front end im worried but also have the theory that since housing of the card is kinda open air that it will just be spread out and eventually out the top
Cooling wise in that case I am not worried at all about it. Just make sure that physically you have enough space in your case, the ARES is one big mother****er. So just check with a ruler if you have enough space.

Now I would seriously consider attempting to convince you that you should not buy such a stupidly expensive card, but it's your money, not mine!

Oh, and feel free to send me a donation since you can actually afford such a card! :lol: 
My bank account is: _____________

Cheerz and good luck!
November 25, 2010 11:24:00 PM

Best answer selected by Wesley-MCG-.
!