Sign in with
Your question

CPU Buying Advice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2010 1:24:01 AM

Thanks for taking time to read this.

So, I'm trying to decide on upgrading my CPU. Mainly, I use this rig for gaming so thats my focus. I've done a little bit of homework, but I'm looking for some advice because my computer knowledge is lacking.

Right now, these are my specs-
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7 GHz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 260
Mobo: ASUS M3N78-VM rev. 1.02
RAM: 4 GB DDR2

From what I can tell, my best option at this point is the AMD Phenom II x4, 965, 3.4 GHz. Anything higher doesn't seem to be supported by my motherboard....yet. And that brings me to my main question.

Although the 965 looks pretty awesome, should I wait a few monthes or more if/when something like the AMD Phenom II x6, 1090T gets supported, or should I pull the trigger on the 965?

I have a somewhat limited budget so I can only upgrade every couple years or so, so I'm looking for a CPU that will take me up through games like Star Wars: The Old Republic, and FireFall. The minimum / recommended specs havn't been released for these games so there is some guess work involved, but it appears to me that the 965 is on par or better than the 6-cores for gaming right now and anything that will be substantially better is fairly far out, and will probably need a new motherboard anyway.

Any thoughts / opinions / advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

More about : cpu buying advice

a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 2:18:46 AM

I would go with the Phenom II x4 955, it OC's very well and a bit cheaper.

If your on a budget and just want to bump your cpu, consider the Phemon II x3 740, also OC's wonderfully. This one is oem, so you will need cooling.
November 19, 2010 2:29:00 AM

Thanks, Embra. I was looking at the 955 also, but at Newegg, the 965 is only $5 more and it looks like that can be OC'd a bit too. I'm not big into overclocking anyway, so I'd likely only OC the 955 to 3.4-3.5. Even though I am on a budget, that $5 seems worth it.

But even if I go with the 955, do you think that will take me through the 2011 games with high graphic settings?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 2:45:32 AM

As long as you are planning to keep your present mobo, the Phenom II 965 will be good to go for 2011. It really depends on when you might want to upgrade your system and what your budget is. I suggested the Phenom II x3 740 so you could save a little money towards a gpu upgrade later.
a c 131 à CPUs
November 19, 2010 12:40:30 PM

Embra said:
As long as you are planning to keep your present mobo, the Phenom II 965 will be good to go for 2011. It really depends on when you might want to upgrade your system and what your budget is. I suggested the Phenom II x3 740 so you could save a little money towards a gpu upgrade later.

I agree. Another good alternative is the Athlon IIx3, at a significantly lower price with not too much performance loss
November 19, 2010 4:41:52 PM

Cool. Thanks for the advice on going with a really good triple core for now. I think I'm still leaning towards the 965 because I really don't want to upgrade my GPU any time soon, and by that time my budget my be quite a bit different.

I don't want to get off on too much of a tangent, but when I do upgrade my GPU, would it be better to get another GTX 260 and SLI it, or just get a hot new one and replace it?

It sounds like overall though, it really wouldn't be worth it to wait for who knows how long for the 6-cores to maybe get supported by my current motherboard, right?
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 11:39:17 PM

Quote:
I don't want to get off on too much of a tangent, but when I do upgrade my GPU, would it be better to get another GTX 260 and SLI it, or just get a hot new one and replace it?

Really that depends on how long you wait and what is released within that time. As for doing SLI with the GTX260, when the time comes you want to upgrade look at benchmarks for the new GPU's and a GTX260 SLI setup to help make your choice. you can always sell the GTX260 and buy something new which I would say is your best bet anyhow. New cards coming out right now are increasing in performance, shrinking die sizes, and lowering power requirements all at once, so the future for GPU's is looking bright.
!