Sign in with
Your question

Install Recovery software to externally docked hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 1:35:34 AM

Hello,
I wiped the drive on my old laptop and now need to run the system recovery software disk. Unfortunately, the optical disk drive on my old laptop is busted.

Can I put the old hard drive in my HDD docking station and connect the station to my new laptop. Then use my new laptop's ODD to run the system recovery software software disk and install the OS that way? Or am I going to have to find a different way?
December 5, 2012 6:24:29 PM

Anyone out there?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 122 G Storage
December 8, 2012 1:52:05 AM

Are you trying to recover the OS from the old drive or files that you want/need? I'm not sure you would be able to recover the OS from and old computer as a fresh install on a new computer. Even if you could there would be an issue with drivers. If you simply want to recover the contents of the drive and have not overwritten any data on the drive you could try Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ).
m
l
December 8, 2012 6:31:26 AM

kenrivers said:
Are you trying to recover the OS from the old drive or files that you want/need? I'm not sure you would be able to recover the OS from and old computer as a fresh install on a new computer. Even if you could there would be an issue with drivers. If you simply want to recover the contents of the drive and have not overwritten any data on the drive you could try Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ).

Thanks for the response. I'll try to be more specific. I don't need to recover any files. What I want is to get my old laptop operational again, but right now, the hard drive is wiped and the optical disk drive is not working. I have the two supplied system recovery & application/driver discs to reinstall the OS but since my ODD is broken, I do not know how to run this software.

I did some more searching on this topic since I posted and it seems I could use an external USB optical drive to run the software, but I would rather avoid opening the wallet until absolutely necessary.

I suppose I can boot from USB flash drive as well, but how would I go about creating copies of my system recovery disks? Could I use an external USB hard drive instead of a USB flah drive?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 122 G Storage
December 9, 2012 3:47:19 AM

The external USB drive is certainly an option and worth a shot. I understand about not wanting to open the wallet unless absolutely necessary. You could create folders on an external drive naming them with the titles of the CDs/DVDs and copy the files from each disk to those folders. Have you tried Recuva on the formatted disk? It is a free download and may be worth trying first. If it fails you could go to plan B (the external drive). Before attempting a copy make sure you can see any hidden files.
m
l
December 10, 2012 3:23:51 AM

Yeah, I used Recuva, however, after I pulled the drive from my old laptop, I used it as an external hard drive for awhile. I was storing my music, photos, videos and other files on it to save room on my PC. So most of the original content was overwritten. No big deal.

Anyway, I'm just going to try booting from USB external hard drive. I will have to read up a bit more on the process though.
m
l
!