how do i set up LAN game with router?

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second computer
on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither in
the LAN or Internet settings.

One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version. But
I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
wrong?

"Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
> others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
> host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second computer
> on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither in
> the LAN or Internet settings.
>
> One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version.
> But
> I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
> wrong?

Why not just install the full version to the slave comp if you aren't going
to play over the net?

killa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

"Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
> others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
> host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second computer
> on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither in
> the LAN or Internet settings.
>
> One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version.
But
> I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
> wrong?

Question, is your computer able to see the other computer in your network?
Are u able to share files between the 2 systems? If u can't then there is
no way for it to work a LAN game. Set up ur network properly first.

If you are able to share files between computers, i know its a bit more
difficult to set up LAN games on ADSL. You gotta set up the PPPoE on your
router's configurations. Other than that i don't have anyother suggustions.

Beowulf wrote:

> I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
> others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
> host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second computer
> on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither in
> the LAN or Internet settings.
>
> One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version. But
> I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
> wrong?

Do you have the Windows Firewall turned on on either machine?

Lisa

"Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
> others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
> host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second computer
> on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither in
> the LAN or Internet settings.
>
> One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version.
> But
> I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
> wrong?

I am going to say the demo doesn't work with the full game most likely.
Most games don't allow the demo's to work with the full versions. Either
that or your network is not working. You don't need to do anything special
to get a lan game working, just start it and it works if the network is
working.

How is your network setup?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

"Killa" <killa@thrilla.com> wrote in message
> "Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play with
>> others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan game. When I
>> host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game, but a second
>> computer
>> on my internal lan does not show the game in the list of games, neither
>> in
>> the LAN or Internet settings.
>>
>> One computer has commercial version of game, the other the demo version.
> But
>> I can not get it to work with either computer hosting. What am I doing
>> wrong?
>>

> Question, is your computer able to see the other computer in your network?
> Are u able to share files between the 2 systems? If u can't then there is
> no way for it to work a LAN game. Set up ur network properly first.
>
> If you are able to share files between computers, i know its a bit more
> difficult to set up LAN games on ADSL. You gotta set up the PPPoE on your
> router's configurations. Other than that i don't have anyother
> suggustions.

Not sure if this will help as it may be overkill, but this is what I did to
get my wireless network game going.

I set up UT99 at home on my wireless network. To get the network set up, i
went through the windows wizard. That was pretty slick, and the machines
could see eachother when i went to neighborhood network.

Sharing must be set up for both machines for the network play to work for
UT. However, I am thinking either windows or UT did that for me. I checked
later to confirm this.

The firewall on McAfee had caused me problems, so I dumped McAfee and got
Norton.

Both machines connected to the web just fine. When I start a ut game, i
just check for the LAN games and I see the other one and hop in. I do
believe my connection to the web is set up as a LAN through windows, if that
is of any consequence?

Hope it works for you.

Mud_Jack

Meltdown

Beowulf enlightened us with:
> I have a linksys router, want to set up a UT2004 lan game to play
> with others in my home. I can not get the game to work as a lan
> game. When I host a game, I checkmark LAN server, advertise game,
> but a second computer on my internal lan does not show the game in
> the list of games, neither in the LAN or Internet settings.

Try connecting to it's IP address directly, instead of relying on the
game appearing in some list.

MeltDown