oooen1gmaooo

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
So the last parts for my computer are coming in tomorrow, the CPU and OS. I did not buy a hard drive because I am gonna use the one out of my old computer. The question is do I have to format my hard drive? I am going from XP to windows 7, and everything is upgraded... is my computer gonna explode (not serious) when I put this hard drive in, w/ drivers and such from my old computer or am I safe?

Solution
Yes, a full format is included in the install process. When you get it all together, boot into the BIOS, and set the DVD drive as the first boot device, insert the W7 disc, save the BIOS changes and restart. On restart it will boot off the disc, and start the install process.
When you get your new parts, you can connect your hard drive. It will either boot off the hard drive or it won't. Since you've change so much hardware, it most likely won't. If you still have the XP disc, you can do a repair install, and get the data off that you want. Eventually, you'll want to do a full format/install with windows 7.

oooen1gmaooo

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
So when installing win7 it has the option to delete everything and start from scratch? like i said i dont care about anything on the drive. I have deleted everything from this drive before but cant remember how I did it. I think i went into the bios and changed something, but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Yes, a full format is included in the install process. When you get it all together, boot into the BIOS, and set the DVD drive as the first boot device, insert the W7 disc, save the BIOS changes and restart. On restart it will boot off the disc, and start the install process.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS