Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2010 5:36:16 AM

Specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750
GPU: Dual SLI GTX 470
Ram: Gskill 4gb.
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
PSU: Corsair HX 850 Watt

I would think that my PC can run Starcraft 2 on Ultra Settings.
However, when I play on Ultra Settings, there is a bit of choppyness.
In other words, the gameplay is not smooth sometimes.
After hearing people say that Starcraft 2 is not graphic intensive game, I am left confused as to why the gameplay is not smooth continuously.

Do you guys know whats wrong?
Is there a bottleneck in my system?

More about : starcraft homebuilt

a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2010 7:00:51 AM

System looks good, no obvious bottlenecks evident. Try updating your drivers, and check your GPU temperatures.
m
l
August 30, 2010 8:31:38 AM

I also do not see a bottle neck.

It's odd that you're getting lag through starcraft II on ultra. Here's my setup, nearly similar to yours:

CPU: Intel Core i5-760
GPU: Single GTX 460
Ram: Gskill Ripjaws 4 Gb
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
PSU: Corsair HX 750

I, however, am using special drivers. The current ones at Nvidia do NOT work for my Gigabyte GTX 460 for some reason, and the ones on my Driver CD fail as well, so I use the beta drivers, Forceware 259.32, instead of the current 258.96.

I can run Starcraft II at max settings with no choppiness whatsoever, even when playing online games or the campaign, so I believe as Lmeow said, it might be your drivers.
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2010 6:23:30 PM

I have an i7 920 @ 3.4GHz, single GTX 480, 6GB RAM at Ultra settings, and I get choppiness sometimes. Sometimes I can fix it by alt-tabbing out of the game then going back in to it, but sometimes it doesn't work. I've heard that the game can benefit from Hyperthreading on a Core i7 which leads me to believe the game can run more than 4 threads. I turned on HT last night (usually leave it off for DragonAge) and the game seemed to run a little smoother. I think it's entirely possible that the Core i5 could be the bottleneck, but that's just a guess :) 
m
l
August 31, 2010 4:09:18 AM

I believe that I updated to the latest drivers fairly recently.
Sorry but I cannot check because my parents confiscated my mouse & keyboard.

Also, the temps never rise above 85 degrees Celcius. I monitor with MSI Afterburner.

So it is most likely to be the fault of my drivers?

Also, just to clear it up.
Starcraft 2 is still FULLY playable at ultra settings.
Its just that sometimes, when i scroll across the map (put mouse to the far right)
It gets a bit choppy. It also gets a bit choppy at random instances. The wierd thing is, it gets small choppy times the same frequency when i start with my 6 workers as well as when i have a 200/200 army. I dont understand at all!!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 2:16:08 PM

Keyboard and mouse got confisticated by your parents? Don't forget the school just beacuse SC2 mate! Hahahahaha...
m
l
August 31, 2010 10:50:12 PM

Yea my grades are in good shape though.
Anyways, anyone have anymore suggestions?
m
l
!